Occupy supporters need clear call to action

Just months after Occupy Wall Street began, the movement has spread to more than 100 U.S. cities and an estimated 1,500 cities worldwide. It is obvious that people are angry, but what exactly are they angry about?

Although the purpose of the movement is to put an end to the corporate greed and corruption that ultimately led to the worst economic recession in history, it has neglected to recognize that there are a multitude of intertwined factors that have led to our current situation.

Yes, corporations that legally yet immorally stole from the American people are largely to blame for our economic woes. But it is equally important to point out additional factors, such as the real estate housing bubble and the European debt crisis as reasons for our dwindling economy.

“We don’t need Wall Street and we don’t need politicians to build a better society,” according to Occupy Wall Street’s website.

Although this is a pleasing thought, the existence of our stock markets and the federal government is absolutely vital to the foundation and growth of our society. Those who criticize politicians for supporting the bank bailout don’t realize that doing so saved our country from a potentially devastating economic depression from which we may have never recovered. Without them, the financial advisors and the politicians, we would be in greater troubles than we are already in.

I am not against the Occupy movement – in fact, I fully support its message and applaud its non-violent, peaceful approach. But until Occupy Wall Street appoints a leader, makes it clear what exactly they are against and creates a distinct, effective call to action, this movement won’t be going anywhere.

Caitlin Driscoll is a sophomore majoring in public relations and political science.

Caitlin Driscoll

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...