Jaguar’s menu, atmosphere draws customers in

Step away from the South Beach buzz and avoid the hour wait at Miami’s hot spots. Whether it is the ceviche that entices you or the unique drinks that draw you in, Jaguar will never let you down. This hidden fusion restaurant brings out all the best dishes from Latin America.
“We envisioned Jaguar reflecting Latin America through dishes inspired by the different cultures and tastes found throughout the different countries,” said chef Oscar del Rivero on the restaurant’s website. “We wanted to capture each country’s unique personality and deliver it to Miami.”

Jaguar has many regular customers, including myself. But with so many Latin American restaurants in Miami, what keeps bringing people back?

“When I asked where to bring my date, my daughter automatically said, ‘You have to go to Jaguar,’” customer Jose Vazquez said. “I have been coming back ever since. I usually come on Wednesdays or Thursdays because I can walk over to The Grove Spot for jazz music after. I always start with the ceviche and my favorite dish is the Chilean sea bass.”

For first-timers making ceviche at home, manager Sergio Durazo recommends marinating the raw seafood of choice in lime for about one hour. Basic ceviche includes cilantro, tomatoes, onion and serrano pepper. All ingredients should be chopped. While this type of classic ceviche is delicious, nothing compares to the variety Jaguar offers.

“I chose to work at Jaguar because they are one of the only places that let you incorporate your ideas into specials,” chef Jose Diaz said. “I have been with Jaguar for about four months and like that I get to express my creativity here.”

Another component that draws in customers is the drink menu.

Bar manager Piero Aguilar Andriola said that Jaguar is the first restaurant he has worked in. He has been bartending for about five years, but previously worked for catering companies.

“The most frequently ordered drinks are pisco sours, margaritas and mojitos,” Andriola said.

Although the menu appeals to customers, the atmosphere also draws them in.

“Once you sit down, it’s like you’re away from the noise of Miami, like you’re sitting in a fancy jungle eating good food,” University of Miami senior Rachel Hartman said. “Definitely one of my favorite spots in Miami … and their sangria is the best I’ve had.”

Between the variety of dishes and drinks, there is something for everyone to enjoy at Jaguar.

“I think quality is the main thing bringing customers back to Jaguar,” Durazo said. “We try to offer fine dining in a casual atmosphere and with neighborhood prices.”

Junior Suzy Snyder often goes to Jaguar with friends.

“I started going to Jaguar because a family friend recommended it,” she said. “The food and the atmosphere are amazing. My favorite thing to order is the organic chicken stuffed with goat cheese. Definitely worth the price.”

Whether you stop in for the tuna sandwich at lunch or the amazing Mexican lasagna for dinner, you’ll always be impressed.

If You Go
Location: 3067 Grand Ave., Coconut Grove, Fla. 33133. Next to Cocowalk Shopping Center.
Contact: 305-444-0216
Website: jaguarspot.com
Parking: Parking on the street may be the least expensive option. There is a parking lot right next to Jaguar on Grand Avenue for the Cocowalk area. However, the cheapest lot can be found next to the Sonesta Hotel on McFarlane Road for $1.50 per hour.

Stephanie Beyl