Dear V

Dear V: I don’t want to be friends with or without benefits…

I recently had a terrible experience while having sex with my now-ex-friend-with-benefits; it involved tears, guilt and bad hygiene on her part, along with her calling out the name of a certain fellow whom she fell hard for and, at least up until our split, her penchant for him had remained unfulfilled. This resulted in our bitter split after I refused her offer of staying friends sans benefits. It’s not because I don’t care about her, but because I care about her too much. I made the terrible mistake of becoming attached and I think we could have been an item if she never met this other guy. I miss her terribly, but I know she’s not coming back and I’m trying to move on. I’m now following other leads and I’ve made it a point to avoid her as much as possible, as I feel depressed and awkward when I see her or when I’m confronted by her. I have no interest in being friends with her. I’m wondering to avoid the awkwardness every time I see her.

Second-place finisher

Dear Jim Kelly,

With that long-winded question, no wonder you always finish second. By the end of the race, you’re more out of breath than Michael Moore after climbing a flight of stairs. On another note, “friends sans benefits?” Boy, with your clever ability of amending a popular phrase into meaning the opposite while using a French term, I don’t see how she could possibly have let you go so easily. Sorry to begin by trashing you, but it was too easy.

What was the bad hygiene? Did she not wash her snatch or what? Anyway, that isn’t important and, if what I said is true, at least you have that weight off of your shoulders. Nevertheless, the phrase, “let’s be friends,” is like drinking a case of O’Doul’s – it tastes a little like love, but you keep reminding yourself that it isn’t intoxicating. Like a hangover, there are only two things that can cure a broken heart: time and weed. I don’t advocate immediately hitting the bong because that’s only going to lead to more problems (like eating at White Castle). The only thing left is to give yourself time to get over her. Think of your situation. Obviously, she didn’t really care about you, so her “great” qualities are being manifested in your mind. If she is as wonderful as your heart thinks she is, you wouldn’t be in the situation you’re in right now.

As for avoiding the awkwardness, you really can’t completely avoid it and accepting that is part of the healing process. You may care about her, but the feeling isn’t mutual. Don’t make the mistake of devoting all of your attention to something that hasn’t paid you any attention. Leave that to fans of the Cleveland Browns. You have to accept your relationship for what it was – the McDonald’s play area. It’s fun while it lasts, but eventually you have to go home.

C’est la vie. Right, Frenchie?

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...