Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer closes season with a loss

The University of Miami women’s soccer team’s season has finally come to a close with Friday’s 1-0 loss to Long Beach State University at UCLA’s Drake Stadium.

Despite the team’s disappointment with the loss, the Canes achieved the program’s most successful season since its founding in 1998.

The Hurricanes held the 49ers scoreless for the first half and much of the second half until a goal in the 81st minute from midfielder Kelsey Wilson that gave Long Beach a 1-0 lead. The 49ers would not relinquish their lead for the remainder of the match.

Sophomore defender Tara Schwitter led the Canes with a total of three shots on goal, followed by the strong offensive efforts by junior midfielder Fatima Nasser and sophomore forward Blake Stockton.

Senior goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo recorded three saves in the match and was the vocal leader of the Hurricane defense against Long Beach’s offensive breaks for much of the game. During the first half, LBSU was not allowed a single shot on goal.  Alonzo closed out her collegiate career with 25 recorded shutouts, shattering the school record by 11 games.

Junior forward Kate Howarth also ends the 2011 season with numerous accolades and accomplishments. Howarth recorded 11 goals and seven assists on the season and was named to the All-ACC Second Team among other nationally recognized honor teams.

Coach Tom Anagnost reflected on the tremendously successful season.

“I want to especially recognize our two seniors, Vikki and Brooke [Van Aman] for leading this team and program to a higher level,” Anagnost said. “I am very proud of them and the rest of the women for a very good season.”

The Hurricanes, a young team overall, graduate just three seniors, and look forward to continued success next season.

Kate Howarth already has a few goals in mind.

“Win more games, have a winning season, make the ACC and NCAA tournament, all of these are very much attainable and expected from our team,” she said.

Kristen Spillane

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...