Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer closes season with a loss

The University of Miami women’s soccer team’s season has finally come to a close with Friday’s 1-0 loss to Long Beach State University at UCLA’s Drake Stadium.

Despite the team’s disappointment with the loss, the Canes achieved the program’s most successful season since its founding in 1998.

The Hurricanes held the 49ers scoreless for the first half and much of the second half until a goal in the 81st minute from midfielder Kelsey Wilson that gave Long Beach a 1-0 lead. The 49ers would not relinquish their lead for the remainder of the match.

Sophomore defender Tara Schwitter led the Canes with a total of three shots on goal, followed by the strong offensive efforts by junior midfielder Fatima Nasser and sophomore forward Blake Stockton.

Senior goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo recorded three saves in the match and was the vocal leader of the Hurricane defense against Long Beach’s offensive breaks for much of the game. During the first half, LBSU was not allowed a single shot on goal.  Alonzo closed out her collegiate career with 25 recorded shutouts, shattering the school record by 11 games.

Junior forward Kate Howarth also ends the 2011 season with numerous accolades and accomplishments. Howarth recorded 11 goals and seven assists on the season and was named to the All-ACC Second Team among other nationally recognized honor teams.

Coach Tom Anagnost reflected on the tremendously successful season.

“I want to especially recognize our two seniors, Vikki and Brooke [Van Aman] for leading this team and program to a higher level,” Anagnost said. “I am very proud of them and the rest of the women for a very good season.”

The Hurricanes, a young team overall, graduate just three seniors, and look forward to continued success next season.

Kate Howarth already has a few goals in mind.

“Win more games, have a winning season, make the ACC and NCAA tournament, all of these are very much attainable and expected from our team,” she said.

Kristen Spillane

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...