Pi Kappa Alpha suspended for nine violations

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, also known as Pike, was suspended as a recognized student organization on Wednesday following an investigation by the Dean of Students Office.

“We are all very upset over the entire situation,” Pike President Harrison Potak said. “The chapter has had to take a step back and truly realize the repercussions of our actions.”

Two incidents involving Pike prompted the investigation. The first was an unauthorized, off-campus party during Labor Day weekend. The second is the initiation of ineligible members during the fraternity’s spring 2011 semester.

The Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook defines a student who is eligible for initiation as one who has a cumulative GPA of 2.50 and is enrolled in at least 12 credit hours during both pre-initiation and the time of initiation. Pike was charged with nine violations of university policy and pled “responsible to all charges,” according to information released by the Dean of Students Office on Wednesday.

As a result, Pike is no longer a recognized student organization for the remainder of the school year. Next fall, however, the chapter will begin a probationary period during which they will be required to participate in educational programs.

If all the mandatory requirements are met, Pike will be reinstated in the spring of 2014.

Despite the suspension, Pike will remain a member of the Interfraternity Council (IFC), but will not be able to participate in any IFC events.

“We will help them in any way we can as they slowly get back into good standing with the school,” said Brenden Kollar, president of IFC.

According to Potak, Pike is eager to get reinstated as a student organization.

“We are making the necessary changes to move Pi Kappa Alpha in the right direction,” he said. “The entire experience has allowed us to better appreciate our brotherhood and strengthen the bonds that our fraternity is founded on.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...