News Briefs 11/17

RA Selection

Students interested in developing leadership skills and programming for groups should consider becoming a residential assistant (RA).

To qualify, complete the online application by Nov. 30 for spring 2012 openings and Jan. 22 for fall 2012. Applicants are required to attend an information session at one of the residential colleges.

Group interviews and recommendations are also required. Candidates will be notified on Dec. 9 for spring 2012 and Feb. 24 for 2012-2013.

For more information, visit or email

AF Selection

Applications are available for students interested in becoming academic fellows (AF).

AFs guide first-year students in learning to manage academic responsibilities and take advantage of the resources offered on campus. Over the course of a year, AFs work 10 to 12 hours weekly, coordinate programs and hold office hours. There will be 26 positions available across Hecht, Stanford, Mahoney and Pearson Residential Colleges.

Applications are available Nov. 28 and are due Jan. 27. Candidates will be notified on Feb. 24. For more information, email

Talent Show

To mark the end of the first ever Diversity Week, a student cultural talent show featuring dance, song and spoken word will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. on the UC patio. The event is hosted by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs and Unity Roundtable.

Leadership retreat

On Saturday, the Diversity Leadership Retreat will give an opportunity to discuss diversity and its impact.

Other events include student and faculty networking, several workshops and a keynote speaker. Registration at the UC begins at 9:30 a.m. Topics range from hip hop to social activism and leadership in a multicultural environment. For more information, email the Butler Center at

Dance Marathon

Dance the night away and support a good cause along the way.  Dance Marathon is a philanthropic event, which will help provide financial and emotional support to families and children of Miami Children’s Hospital, part of the Children’s Miracle Network.

The 2011 marathon will take place in the Wellness Center from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Online donations are accepted at The goal is to collect $10,000.

For more information, email club president Alejandro Rengifo at

The Frost School of Music and the Department of Vocal Performance present Visions of Orpheus.

There will be three shows at Clarke Recital Hall in the L. Austin Weeks Center for Recording and Performance from Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and another show at 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Admission is free and tickets can be reserved online. For more information, visit

Ben & Jerry’s

Co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, Jerry Greenfield, is having a talk at the BankUnited Center on Nov. 30 at 7 p.m.

He will discuss his success and the business’ focus on creative approaches and social responsibility.

A Cane Card is required for entrance. Hurricane Productions will host the event. For more information, visit

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Junior Dewi Weber will become the first University of Miami golfer to compete in the Arnold Palmer C ...

FAU used a six-run ninth inning to pull past Miami Wednesday night at Mark Light Field, capturing an ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...