News Briefs 11/17

RA Selection

Students interested in developing leadership skills and programming for groups should consider becoming a residential assistant (RA).

To qualify, complete the online application by Nov. 30 for spring 2012 openings and Jan. 22 for fall 2012. Applicants are required to attend an information session at one of the residential colleges.

Group interviews and recommendations are also required. Candidates will be notified on Dec. 9 for spring 2012 and Feb. 24 for 2012-2013.

For more information, visit miami.edu/housing or email reslife@miami.edu.

AF Selection

Applications are available for students interested in becoming academic fellows (AF).

AFs guide first-year students in learning to manage academic responsibilities and take advantage of the resources offered on campus. Over the course of a year, AFs work 10 to 12 hours weekly, coordinate programs and hold office hours. There will be 26 positions available across Hecht, Stanford, Mahoney and Pearson Residential Colleges.

Applications are available Nov. 28 and are due Jan. 27. Candidates will be notified on Feb. 24. For more information, email hechtadvising@miami.edu.

Talent Show

To mark the end of the first ever Diversity Week, a student cultural talent show featuring dance, song and spoken word will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. on the UC patio. The event is hosted by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs and Unity Roundtable.

Leadership retreat

On Saturday, the Diversity Leadership Retreat will give an opportunity to discuss diversity and its impact.

Other events include student and faculty networking, several workshops and a keynote speaker. Registration at the UC begins at 9:30 a.m. Topics range from hip hop to social activism and leadership in a multicultural environment. For more information, email the Butler Center at leadandserve@miami.edu.

Dance Marathon

Dance the night away and support a good cause along the way.  Dance Marathon is a philanthropic event, which will help provide financial and emotional support to families and children of Miami Children’s Hospital, part of the Children’s Miracle Network.

The 2011 marathon will take place in the Wellness Center from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Online donations are accepted at helpmakemiracles.org. The goal is to collect $10,000.

For more information, email club president Alejandro Rengifo at a.rengifo@umiami.edu.

Opera

The Frost School of Music and the Department of Vocal Performance present Visions of Orpheus.

There will be three shows at Clarke Recital Hall in the L. Austin Weeks Center for Recording and Performance from Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and another show at 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Admission is free and tickets can be reserved online. For more information, visit miami.edu/frost/index.php/frost/frost_events/.

Ben & Jerry’s

Co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, Jerry Greenfield, is having a talk at the BankUnited Center on Nov. 30 at 7 p.m.

He will discuss his success and the business’ focus on creative approaches and social responsibility.

A Cane Card is required for entrance. Hurricane Productions will host the event. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...