Miami Book Fair International returns to Downtown

Now in its 28th year, the Miami Book Fair International has given readers and writers something to look forward to each fall.

Presented by the Center at Miami Dade College, this year’s festivities began on Sunday featuring events like the Evenings with… series, which presents six nights of readings and discussions with authors from around the world.

This year’s fair will focus on China by representing Chinese culture and art through different events. Several Chinese and Chinese-American figures will attend the fair, including Secretary General of the China Novels Society Jiang Bing and novelist Hong Ying, whose works have been published in 29 languages.

Apart from the focus on literature, the fair also highlights art and music. One event, Arts at the Fair, features exhibitions that blend art with literature, including paintings by artist Arturo Rodriguez and award-winning artist Kadir Nelson. Several musical performances will also be held through Sunday.

Although music and art are incorporated into many of the fair’s events, many attendees enjoy the focus on literature, including the chance to speak with authors.

“The best thing about the fair is still the chance to see, hear, and talk with these writers up close and personal,” said UM professor Judy Hood, who teaches English composition.

But perhaps the fair’s best feature starts on Friday, when the Street Fair takes over downtown Miami. The streets will be filled with live music, food, activities, and more than 200 national and international exhibitors selling books.

Some students are excited to see the authors attending this year’s fair.

“I can’t wait to see Lauren Book,” sophomore Sabrina Rishmague said. “Her memoir that focuses on her experience with abuse is inspiring.”

Others are looking forward to the fair’s other features.

“I’ve never been to the Street Fair, so I’m excited to go to the different events,” sophomore Alex Ades said. “I’m looking forward to the jazz groups that are performing.”

The Street Fair runs Friday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission is free on Friday. However, the fee will be $8 on Saturday and Sunday. For more information, visit miamibookfair.com.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...