Forum connects students in the 99 percent

Artists demonstrate at the Occupy Miami rally. Natalie Edgar//The Miami Hurricane

A circle of college students sits on the university seal in front of the bookstore discussing education reform and the role of corporations in society.

The students are members of the University of Miami Forum for Occupy Miami, which was started around the same time as the Occupy Miami movement.

The forum has worked alongside the main movement to educate students about social issues, including income disparity in the U.S. and student debt.

One of the ways the forum involves students is through direct action. Direct action involves students sharing how they relate to the movement.

Students have been writing personal statements about how they are part of the 99 percent, an activity which is an important facet of Occupy Wall Street, according to graduate student Elizabeth Weintraub. Weintraub started the forum along with her roommate Lana Schissel.

The forum also holds panels to discuss education reform and the philosophy behind the movement, among other issues relevant to Occupy Miami. The panels include professors from different university departments as well as Student Government members and alumni.

“[Our platform is] student debt, unemployment, education and the university governance issue. [It’s about] reforming our stake in how money is spent,” said Schissel, who is also a graduate student.

The forum has echoed the concerns of the protesters in the Occupy Miami movement, which is currently facing the threat of eviction.

City officials are planning to revoke Occupy Miami’s permit on Friday, according to a press release sent out by the Occupy Miami movement. Protestors have been petitioning government officials and are planning to do a major demonstration on Thursday, tentatively at Government Center .

“[It’s] supposed to be one of our larger protests,” senior Ryan Williams said. “One of the goals is to include different members of the community. We’re trying to make it a more diverse group.”

Regardless of the outcome of the local Occupy movement, students feel that the movement has already made an impact by raising questions about American society.

“This shows that the American people are being awakened,” junior Kristyn Greco said. “We’ve been able to turn around and actually voice our opinions.”

If you go

What: UM Forum for Occupy Miami panel discussion about education reform and university governance

When: Monday at 5 p.m. in the UC Ballroom C

The panel will include Professor Josh Diem from the School of Education, Professor Amelia Moore from the College of Arts and Sciences, alumna and social activist Alyssa Condari, Provost Thomas LeBlanc, and David Moyer.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Forum connects students in the 99 percent”

1. Tom O. says:

Maybe you stupid girls shouldn’t have gone to a private school. Liberals just don’t think before doing anymore.

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...