Canned food donations help community

To get into the Thanksgiving spirit, two construction-related service projects are promoting student involvement all while helping the community.
On Friday at 12:30 p.m., the School of Architecture and the Center for Urban and Community Design (CUCD) will be participating in the  University of Miami’s own version of the national “Canstruction” movement, a non-profit organization that collects canned food donations and helps spread awareness about issues involving hunger.
Teams around the school will compete in a timed, building competition, in which members will replicate and build structures out of the canned food donations.
After the competition is over, all donations will then be given to Camillus House, to help feed families in need.
“I am very excited about ‘Canstruction’ this year,” said Lauren Stark, an architecture teaching assistant who helped organize the event. “It is a great way for UM to get involved and give back to its community.”
The building craze does not stop there. Student Government developed its own version called “Can U Build It?”.
Teams of students are asked to collect as many canned goods throughout the week. On Monday, the teams will then use the cans to build the largest and most creative “Can Castle” on the Green.
Groups of students and student organizations can form teams. Cans will be donated to the Food Banks of South Florida. Registration must be made prior to competing by emailing Executive-at-Large External Melissa Guller, m.guller@umiami.edu.
The winning team, up to ten members, will receive $20 gift certificates to the Rat.
Greek organizations that collect over 100 cans will obtain written letters of their participation in an on-campus philanthropic event.

About Author

Peri Diamond

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...