Canned food donations help community

To get into the Thanksgiving spirit, two construction-related service projects are promoting student involvement all while helping the community.
On Friday at 12:30 p.m., the School of Architecture and the Center for Urban and Community Design (CUCD) will be participating in the  University of Miami’s own version of the national “Canstruction” movement, a non-profit organization that collects canned food donations and helps spread awareness about issues involving hunger.
Teams around the school will compete in a timed, building competition, in which members will replicate and build structures out of the canned food donations.
After the competition is over, all donations will then be given to Camillus House, to help feed families in need.
“I am very excited about ‘Canstruction’ this year,” said Lauren Stark, an architecture teaching assistant who helped organize the event. “It is a great way for UM to get involved and give back to its community.”
The building craze does not stop there. Student Government developed its own version called “Can U Build It?”.
Teams of students are asked to collect as many canned goods throughout the week. On Monday, the teams will then use the cans to build the largest and most creative “Can Castle” on the Green.
Groups of students and student organizations can form teams. Cans will be donated to the Food Banks of South Florida. Registration must be made prior to competing by emailing Executive-at-Large External Melissa Guller, m.guller@umiami.edu.
The winning team, up to ten members, will receive $20 gift certificates to the Rat.
Greek organizations that collect over 100 cans will obtain written letters of their participation in an on-campus philanthropic event.

Peri Diamond

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...