Sex should stay out of the stacks

Otto G. Richter Library, a.k.a. Club Richter, is our university’s main library in the center of campus. The library’s purpose is for people to study and research.

However, some students use the library for other purposes. What makes people decide that it’s a good idea to have sex in the stacks at Richter?

For those who aren’t familiar with the stacks, they are five floors full of rows and rows of old, dusty books. Are people seriously turned on by that? Have some respect for yourselves and, for crying out loud, get a room.

No one wants to be studying in the stacks only to hear two people in the heat of the moment; that’s just wrong. Also, no one wants to find empty condom wrappers when they show up for work the next morning. It would be awkward for you if you found out that someone was having sex where you work, so why do it to someone else? Not to mention the carvings on the wall showing how many people have had sex up there.

Some say people have sex in the stacks for the adrenaline rush because there is always the possibility that someone will catch you. However, if you need an adrenaline rush that badly, there are so many other ways to do this, like rock climbing, go-cart driving, etc.

Or if it’s because the books are such a turn on for you, take them home. You can check out books for a month. Respect yourselves, respect the library and respect the people who have to work there.

Taylor Duckett is a freshman majoring in chemistry.

Taylor Duckett

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...