Alfred Hitchcock’s horrors: Take a look at his timeless thrillers

Alfred Hitchcock’s thrillers are known to keep audiences on the edge of their seats.

The University of Miami will host Marnie Re-visited, an event that features a screening of “Marnie” and a discussion featuring celebrated Hitchcock experts, Murray Pomerance and William Rothman.

The two scholars have studied Hitchcock’s work intensively. Pomerance is an author of various books, such as “An Eye for Hitchcock,” and a professor at Ryerson University’s Department of Sociology. Rothman is a UM motion pictures professor and the author of numerous books, including the prominent analysis “Hitchcock – The Murderous Gaze.”

“He is, for film, the equivalent of Shakespeare for theater,” Rothman said.

The film is about a thief, Marnie, who uses her beauty to rob her employers and then changes her identity. However, when Marnie sets her eyes on publishing mogul Mark Rutland, she gets more than she expected when he becomes obsessed with trapping her. Hitchcock’s 1964 film has enjoyed much attention due to its complexity and interpretation of characters.

“Hitchcock is one of the greatest masters of the art of pure cinema,” Rothman said. “He started his career in the silent period and for half a century made a long series of films, each one of which was popular. Everybody enjoyed his films. They were understandable by everyone, nonetheless very deep.”

Hitchcock’s films have remained popular even decades after their releases due to his distinctive take on directing.

“He masters every step of filmmaking, from writing, even if he does not write, to editing, lighting,” said graduate student Nicolas Bordage, who is studying literature and romance studies. “He understands the deep psychology of cinema and knows the dark side of human kind.  He also has a very British sense of humor.”

Hitchcock’s style of directing is different from that of most directors.

“It is genuinely personal,” graduate student Oscar Jubis said.  “His style of directing reflects a personal vision.”

The screening, brought to campus by the School of Communication’s Norton Herrick Center for Motion Picture Studies, will be followed by a brief intermission and a panel discussion at 4:30 p.m.

For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Rosa Orihuela

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...