Staff editorial 11/14: Casinos threaten Florida lifestyle

It looks like Disney could face some competition for Florida’s tourism dollars. A bill has been proposed that would allow multiple $2 billion casinos to open in South Florida.

This debate has the Walt Disney Company and the Florida Chamber of Commerce, in favor of a wholesome family image, facing heavy resort-casino investment. This past spring, the Genting Corporation, a company from Malaysia, bought 30 acres along Biscayne Bay for one of the three casino projects. Genting has plans to invest considerably more money, and has talked about fixing highways and partnering with nearby businesses.

Proponents of the bill point out that it will create jobs, help Florida’s slumping economy, unify gambling in the state and attract a wealthier clientele. These large resorts would bring in new businesses and money, helping Miami flourish as a cosmopolitan city.

However, the bill has yet to gain traction with numerous political figures. Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez worries about these resorts “sucking the life out of” neighborhoods, and Gov. Rick Scott says he doesn’t want Florida’s economy to “over-rely” on gambling, according to an article in The New York Times.

Bringing in this kind of significant development would definitely make some improvements to South Florida. However, there is an array of negative effects that could result if this bill is passed.

While the casinos may bring in more tourists, it is highly unlikely that they’ll venture from the premises. These resorts are self-contained and wouldn’t necessarily promote the exploration of surrounding businesses and activities.

Gambling also comes with a negative stigma and worries about what this would do to the city. Las Vegas and Atlantic City, two of the U.S.’s gambling capitals, aren’t known for being the classiest of places, and some expect Miami to have the same fate.

Representatives from the Florida Chamber of Commerce have been saying that this bill is targeting Florida because desperate times call for desperate measures. They feel that, in a good economy, this idea would never gain traction.

There is a good chance that this is true. Our lawmakers should take a step back and look at this from all angles before supporting a move that could end up doing more to damage Miami than to benefit it.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...