News Briefs 11/14

Diversity Retreat

The Diversity Leadership Retreat will take place on Saturday. Participants will discuss diversity’s impact on leadership, decision-making and social justice issues. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is co-sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Residential Life, the Office of Academic Enhancement and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. Registration opens at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday in the UC International Lounge. For more information, email the Butler Center at leadandserve@miami.edu.

Cooking Class

Don’t miss out on the fall cooking series’ final class. On Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., join Chef Mercedes in preparing Greek tzatziki sauce, lemon garlic chicken and Anula’s orange delight. The cost is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members, and $25 for non-members. To register, call the Wellness Enrichment Suite at 305-284-LIFE (5433).

Politics Week

Take part in International Politics Week and learn about Israel in the context of the Arab Spring. Professor Henry Green, who is in the Department of Religious Studies, will speak to students on Monday from 3:35 to 4:40 p.m. in LC 184. The event is hosted by Council for Democracy. For more information, visit councilfordemocracy.blogspot.com or email councilum@gmail.com.

Law School

The School of Law will be hosting Bagels and Conversation on Tuesday at 9 a.m. in the Toppel Career Center. President Donna E. Shalala and Dean Patricia White will speak about the merits of UM’s School of Law. A continental breakfast will be served.  Students and alumni are encouraged to attend. To RSVP, email admisions@law.miami.edu.

Table Tennis

Ping-pong pros can compete against other students in the Singles Table Tennis Tournament taking place in the Wellness Center in room 210 on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The deadline to register is Tuesday at 5 p.m. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...