News Briefs 11/14

Diversity Retreat

The Diversity Leadership Retreat will take place on Saturday. Participants will discuss diversity’s impact on leadership, decision-making and social justice issues. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is co-sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Residential Life, the Office of Academic Enhancement and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. Registration opens at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday in the UC International Lounge. For more information, email the Butler Center at leadandserve@miami.edu.

Cooking Class

Don’t miss out on the fall cooking series’ final class. On Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., join Chef Mercedes in preparing Greek tzatziki sauce, lemon garlic chicken and Anula’s orange delight. The cost is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members, and $25 for non-members. To register, call the Wellness Enrichment Suite at 305-284-LIFE (5433).

Politics Week

Take part in International Politics Week and learn about Israel in the context of the Arab Spring. Professor Henry Green, who is in the Department of Religious Studies, will speak to students on Monday from 3:35 to 4:40 p.m. in LC 184. The event is hosted by Council for Democracy. For more information, visit councilfordemocracy.blogspot.com or email councilum@gmail.com.

Law School

The School of Law will be hosting Bagels and Conversation on Tuesday at 9 a.m. in the Toppel Career Center. President Donna E. Shalala and Dean Patricia White will speak about the merits of UM’s School of Law. A continental breakfast will be served.  Students and alumni are encouraged to attend. To RSVP, email admisions@law.miami.edu.

Table Tennis

Ping-pong pros can compete against other students in the Singles Table Tennis Tournament taking place in the Wellness Center in room 210 on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The deadline to register is Tuesday at 5 p.m. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...