News Briefs 11/14

Diversity Retreat

The Diversity Leadership Retreat will take place on Saturday. Participants will discuss diversity’s impact on leadership, decision-making and social justice issues. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is co-sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Residential Life, the Office of Academic Enhancement and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. Registration opens at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday in the UC International Lounge. For more information, email the Butler Center at leadandserve@miami.edu.

Cooking Class

Don’t miss out on the fall cooking series’ final class. On Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., join Chef Mercedes in preparing Greek tzatziki sauce, lemon garlic chicken and Anula’s orange delight. The cost is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members, and $25 for non-members. To register, call the Wellness Enrichment Suite at 305-284-LIFE (5433).

Politics Week

Take part in International Politics Week and learn about Israel in the context of the Arab Spring. Professor Henry Green, who is in the Department of Religious Studies, will speak to students on Monday from 3:35 to 4:40 p.m. in LC 184. The event is hosted by Council for Democracy. For more information, visit councilfordemocracy.blogspot.com or email councilum@gmail.com.

Law School

The School of Law will be hosting Bagels and Conversation on Tuesday at 9 a.m. in the Toppel Career Center. President Donna E. Shalala and Dean Patricia White will speak about the merits of UM’s School of Law. A continental breakfast will be served.  Students and alumni are encouraged to attend. To RSVP, email admisions@law.miami.edu.

Table Tennis

Ping-pong pros can compete against other students in the Singles Table Tennis Tournament taking place in the Wellness Center in room 210 on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The deadline to register is Tuesday at 5 p.m. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...