News Briefs 11/14

Diversity Retreat

The Diversity Leadership Retreat will take place on Saturday. Participants will discuss diversity’s impact on leadership, decision-making and social justice issues. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is co-sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Residential Life, the Office of Academic Enhancement and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. Registration opens at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday in the UC International Lounge. For more information, email the Butler Center at leadandserve@miami.edu.

Cooking Class

Don’t miss out on the fall cooking series’ final class. On Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., join Chef Mercedes in preparing Greek tzatziki sauce, lemon garlic chicken and Anula’s orange delight. The cost is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members, and $25 for non-members. To register, call the Wellness Enrichment Suite at 305-284-LIFE (5433).

Politics Week

Take part in International Politics Week and learn about Israel in the context of the Arab Spring. Professor Henry Green, who is in the Department of Religious Studies, will speak to students on Monday from 3:35 to 4:40 p.m. in LC 184. The event is hosted by Council for Democracy. For more information, visit councilfordemocracy.blogspot.com or email councilum@gmail.com.

Law School

The School of Law will be hosting Bagels and Conversation on Tuesday at 9 a.m. in the Toppel Career Center. President Donna E. Shalala and Dean Patricia White will speak about the merits of UM’s School of Law. A continental breakfast will be served.  Students and alumni are encouraged to attend. To RSVP, email admisions@law.miami.edu.

Table Tennis

Ping-pong pros can compete against other students in the Singles Table Tennis Tournament taking place in the Wellness Center in room 210 on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The deadline to register is Tuesday at 5 p.m. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Lyssa Goldberg Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...