New club gets members’ motors running

Motorcycle club members, president Mike Critch, senior, vice president Enrico Dominguez, junior, and David Goodwin, junior, pose outside the School of Communication. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Canes can now strap on their helmets and ride their Harley Davidson bikes to the next meeting of the recently-founded Descendants Motorcycle Club.

The club, which is now up-and-running after about a year of work, aims to gather motorcycle enthusiasts among the university’s student body and faculty through a recreational club, president Michael Critch said.

Vice president Enrico Dominguez heard a motorcycle club was in the works from the Student Activities staff when he applied to start his own.

“I contacted Mike Critch, who was the active president, and asked him if he would mind taking on my logo and name, and I would get involved and help promote the club,” Dominguez said. “We teamed up and are making it happen.”

Interested members that don’t ride motorcycles can join the club, and learn to ride through classes and get licensed through the state of Florida. The club’s executive board members can also help students choose their first bikes.

“It can be intimidating trying to get into motorcycling, but I think with joining this club we can help more people discover the thrill of motorcycling,” Dominguez said.

The club’s goal is to promote motorcycling as a fun recreational activity by providing information on rides in the community, local events, club meetings, licensing opportunities and safety awareness.

“It is important for our university to have an organization that promotes this alternative form of transportation, and encourages students and faculty that choose to ride rather than drive,” Critch said.

Through group rides, members can rack up the mileage on their bikes, gain experience and find new friendships along the way.

“You’re not just joining in an activity,” Critch said. “You’re also becoming a part of a passionate community of people who are dedicated to the experiences that motorcycling provides.”

The club is planning day trips to places outside of Miami, such as  Daytona, Fla., for Daytona Beach Bike Week.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...