New club gets members’ motors running

Motorcycle club members, president Mike Critch, senior, vice president Enrico Dominguez, junior, and David Goodwin, junior, pose outside the School of Communication. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Canes can now strap on their helmets and ride their Harley Davidson bikes to the next meeting of the recently-founded Descendants Motorcycle Club.

The club, which is now up-and-running after about a year of work, aims to gather motorcycle enthusiasts among the university’s student body and faculty through a recreational club, president Michael Critch said.

Vice president Enrico Dominguez heard a motorcycle club was in the works from the Student Activities staff when he applied to start his own.

“I contacted Mike Critch, who was the active president, and asked him if he would mind taking on my logo and name, and I would get involved and help promote the club,” Dominguez said. “We teamed up and are making it happen.”

Interested members that don’t ride motorcycles can join the club, and learn to ride through classes and get licensed through the state of Florida. The club’s executive board members can also help students choose their first bikes.

“It can be intimidating trying to get into motorcycling, but I think with joining this club we can help more people discover the thrill of motorcycling,” Dominguez said.

The club’s goal is to promote motorcycling as a fun recreational activity by providing information on rides in the community, local events, club meetings, licensing opportunities and safety awareness.

“It is important for our university to have an organization that promotes this alternative form of transportation, and encourages students and faculty that choose to ride rather than drive,” Critch said.

Through group rides, members can rack up the mileage on their bikes, gain experience and find new friendships along the way.

“You’re not just joining in an activity,” Critch said. “You’re also becoming a part of a passionate community of people who are dedicated to the experiences that motorcycling provides.”

The club is planning day trips to places outside of Miami, such as  Daytona, Fla., for Daytona Beach Bike Week.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...