Soccer, Sports

Kicking their way into Hurricane history

The women's soccer team celebrates after beating the Alabama Crimson Tide 3-2 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Kenneth Rubi//The Miami Hurricane

The Canes have done it again. With a double-overtime goal in the 102nd minute from freshman Ashley Flinn, the UM women’s soccer team defeated the Alabama Crimson Tide in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

The Hurricanes have made a name for themselves with last-minute heroics, as this is their third double-overtime victory of the season. With the win, Miami advances to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the first time in program history.

“It’s hard to put into words right now,” head coach Tom Anagnost said. “This was the biggest game in our program’s history, and we’re all elated.”

Despite the Hurricanes’ strong offensive start with a flurry of shots from juniors Kate Howarth and Jordan Roseboro, and sophomore Tara Schwitter, Alabama drew first blood on a header goal by sophomore Kendall Khanna in the 20th minute, which came on a cross from junior Ashley Willis.

The Canes did not trail for long, as freshman Shannon Caspar scored a header goal off a cross from Ashley Flinn in the 29th minute. Tenacious goaltending by senior keeper Vikki Alonzo held the Crimson Tide scoreless for the rest of the period, and the two teams headed into halftime tied at 1-1.

The second half featured aggressive play from both sides. Alonzo kept up her stonewall goalkeeping with the help of a strong defensive line led by junior Ali Brennan.

In the 71st minute, Alabama finally broke through with a goal from freshman Laura Lee Smith, assisted by junior Katelyn Smith off a rebounded save.

True to Hurricane form, UM wasted no time in returning fire. On a free kick from Schwitter, Howarth sent a header goal sailing past Tide goalkeeper Justine Bernier in the 77th minute to tie the game at 2-2. The goal was Howarth’s 11th of the season.

The remaining minutes of regulation ticked away without a goal from either team, and the scoreless play continued through an additional 10 minutes of overtime.

Finding themselves in a familiar sudden-death situation, the Hurricanes capitalized on an opportunity in the second overtime period in dramatic fashion. Flinn buried the game-winning goal in the 102nd minute on a well-placed through ball from Howarth.

“It was a back-and-forth, really exciting match,” Anagnost said. “We’re really proud of our women. This is a really special group – they’re just never ever down and out. They just fight and claw to the very end.”

The Hurricanes will face Long Beach State in a second-round matchup on Friday.

Kristen Spillane

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...