Hurricane pride has disappeared

Where is the love? School spirit seems to be a bit low, and the pride in the Canes seems to be even lower. At the recent game against Georgia Tech, I noticed the stands were quite empty. Considering we played (and beat) a top 25 team, the stadium wasn’t full at all.

The city of Miami is not known to have great fans, especially for a college team that hasn’t performed as well recently. But with the recent resurrengence of quarterback Jacory Harris and a winning record, I feel that more people should be coming out for the games.

Reporters often call it the “South Beach effect.” If the team is not doing great, than there are better things to be doing, i.e. going to South Beach. But either way, I think at least the students should be coming out in droves for the games, even against opponents not ranked in the top 25.

Sun Life Stadium is a hike, however, and even I have forgone a game or two because of the distance. Unfortunately, I don’t see a stadium being built in the Gables anytime soon, which means that students and Miami residents need to make the long trek up to Miami Gardens.

I guess the only way to fill up seats is to have a team that wins. However, we can do our part and support our team. I am always amazed to see how passionate and full student sections in other colleges are. Hopefully, we can experience that sometime and maybe take away the stereotype of being fair weather fans.

Nikhil Ghorpade is a sophomore majoring in public relations and ecosystem science and policy.

Nikhil Ghorpade

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Hurricane pride has disappeared”

1. trina says:

football sucks. always have hated it and always will. there’s so many better things to spend time doing than watching football or baseball games. i don’t get where the student body should all have to go watch football when the same isn’t being said about the debate team or the drama club.

2. joe says:

Well, the “spirit day” didn’t do much because not even the spirits of UM students were at the Duke(Homecoming) game. I think the problem starts with us students…a third of the UM student body don’t even know the rules of the game of Football.

3. Steve says:

umm…i actually disagree. we just had a spirit day. have we ever had one of those before? off campus fans always have and probably will suck and be fairweather fans but i think campus is pretty good right now

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...