UC mural immortalizes Hurricane history

Charlotte Cushing//The Miami Hurricane

There’s writing on the wall in the University Center (UC).

A new mural detailing UM’s history through a series of photographs and captions now adorns the central walkway that runs from the entrance near WVUM to the temporary Rathskeller.

It was created under the direction of the University Center Renovations Committee, which was led by Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely and Student Government (SG) Vice President Ashley Taggart.

“Having the mural in the UC has definitely enhanced school spirit, and I think it’s a cool way to learn about our school,” Taggart said.

The mural begins with a brief historical account of the campus, which is followed by 165 significant moments in Hurricane history.

The 108-foot-long wall is divided according to the terms of the university’s five presidents and arranged in chronological order, starting with the first president, Bowman Foster Ashe, and ending with current President Donna E. Shalala.

After seeing the mural, sophomore Kaitlyn Rancour said she was surprised by UM’s rich history.

“It is amazing how interactive our school is with places and people around the world,” she said.

Images in the mural include the first UM graduates, former UM President Jay Pearson greeting former First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy at the Lowe Art Museum in 1960, Ashe and Sir Winston Churchill at the 1946 convocation, and the “Last Call at The Rat.”

Other photos depict UM’s first mascot, a dog named “Hurricane I,” the undefeated polo team from 1947, President George H.W. Bush at a commencement ceremony and the original UM campus.

All of the photographs were chosen with the help of the Richter Library, Campus Planning and Development Department and SG leaders.

“The goal of the pictures was to reflect the major events that impacted in some way the student experience or the role of the University of Miami,” Whitely said.

The mural stems from the “Spirit the U” initiative led by SG President Brandon Mitchell, who ran with Taggart on the same ticket.

“We wanted to be able to take our university center and put it on another campus and still have it be ‘ours,’” Taggart said. “Before the renovations started, we didn’t think there was enough school spirit in the UC; we wanted there to be more orange and green.”

Freshman Alexa Pierro thinks the mural “shows others what it means to be a Miami Hurricane.”

“It’s really cool to see how the school has evolved from just an idea to the wonderful home that we call the U,” she said.

Arquitectonica, an architectural company in Coral Gables, has collaborated with UM on this project and others.

“I am thrilled with the final design,” Whitely said. “Hopefully, it will be enjoyed for years to come.”

Peri Diamond

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...