Staff editorial 11/10: safety is in your hands

As Internet sensation Antoine Dodson said, “He’s climbin’ in yo’ windows and snatchin’ yo’ people up.” While people may chuckle at Dodson and his unique demeanor, home (and dorm) invasion is nothing to laugh about.

The incident that occurred in Mahoney Residential College last Saturday night is a sobering wake-up call that break-ins do indeed happen, and that living in the dorms does not guarantee your safety. The security personnel do what they can, but the system is by no means foolproof when it comes to outsiders getting in after hours.

Students can sign guests in, allowing them into the building, and it is not uncommon for someone to sign in a complete stranger. It hardly seems necessary to point out that this is not the best idea. That stranger might not be as innocent as he or she looks.

Although intruders are definitely something to watch out for, students need to be wary of fellow dorm residents as well. Precautions beyond the security desk need to be taken. It’s risky to go to sleep without locking the door; leaving the door unlocked means leaving yourself and your belongings at the mercy of whomever wants to come inside.

That being said, the perpetrator in the Mahoney incident has no excuse for what he did. Such behavior is unacceptable, unlocked doors or not. The victims did the right thing in contacting authorities immediately.

While dorm residents shouldn’t have to worry about things like this, they’re facts of life. Home invasion occurs outside of college as well, and students should start preparing for this harsh reality. Lock your door, keep an eye on your belongings and listen to Dodson: “Hide ya kids, hide ya wife and hide ya husband.”

But really, be safe.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Staff editorial 11/10: safety is in your hands”

1. Mike says:

This is a great point and security is really good at keeping intruders out (i’ve seen it in person), but when residents sign random people in and leave their doors unlocked at night make the entire building unsafe. I also want to point out that in the suite-style housing, don’t forget that when you leave your door unlocked, the whole suit is now vulnerable. Check up on each other and remember we are all a family on campus and Canes should always care for fellow Canes!

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...