Staff editorial 11/10: safety is in your hands

As Internet sensation Antoine Dodson said, “He’s climbin’ in yo’ windows and snatchin’ yo’ people up.” While people may chuckle at Dodson and his unique demeanor, home (and dorm) invasion is nothing to laugh about.

The incident that occurred in Mahoney Residential College last Saturday night is a sobering wake-up call that break-ins do indeed happen, and that living in the dorms does not guarantee your safety. The security personnel do what they can, but the system is by no means foolproof when it comes to outsiders getting in after hours.

Students can sign guests in, allowing them into the building, and it is not uncommon for someone to sign in a complete stranger. It hardly seems necessary to point out that this is not the best idea. That stranger might not be as innocent as he or she looks.

Although intruders are definitely something to watch out for, students need to be wary of fellow dorm residents as well. Precautions beyond the security desk need to be taken. It’s risky to go to sleep without locking the door; leaving the door unlocked means leaving yourself and your belongings at the mercy of whomever wants to come inside.

That being said, the perpetrator in the Mahoney incident has no excuse for what he did. Such behavior is unacceptable, unlocked doors or not. The victims did the right thing in contacting authorities immediately.

While dorm residents shouldn’t have to worry about things like this, they’re facts of life. Home invasion occurs outside of college as well, and students should start preparing for this harsh reality. Lock your door, keep an eye on your belongings and listen to Dodson: “Hide ya kids, hide ya wife and hide ya husband.”

But really, be safe.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

About Author

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Staff editorial 11/10: safety is in your hands”

1. Mike says:

This is a great point and security is really good at keeping intruders out (i’ve seen it in person), but when residents sign random people in and leave their doors unlocked at night make the entire building unsafe. I also want to point out that in the suite-style housing, don’t forget that when you leave your door unlocked, the whole suit is now vulnerable. Check up on each other and remember we are all a family on campus and Canes should always care for fellow Canes!

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

The Miami Hurricanes will make the short trip to Swanson Stadium in Fort Myers, Fla., for a midweek ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...