Staff editorial 11/10: safety is in your hands

As Internet sensation Antoine Dodson said, “He’s climbin’ in yo’ windows and snatchin’ yo’ people up.” While people may chuckle at Dodson and his unique demeanor, home (and dorm) invasion is nothing to laugh about.

The incident that occurred in Mahoney Residential College last Saturday night is a sobering wake-up call that break-ins do indeed happen, and that living in the dorms does not guarantee your safety. The security personnel do what they can, but the system is by no means foolproof when it comes to outsiders getting in after hours.

Students can sign guests in, allowing them into the building, and it is not uncommon for someone to sign in a complete stranger. It hardly seems necessary to point out that this is not the best idea. That stranger might not be as innocent as he or she looks.

Although intruders are definitely something to watch out for, students need to be wary of fellow dorm residents as well. Precautions beyond the security desk need to be taken. It’s risky to go to sleep without locking the door; leaving the door unlocked means leaving yourself and your belongings at the mercy of whomever wants to come inside.

That being said, the perpetrator in the Mahoney incident has no excuse for what he did. Such behavior is unacceptable, unlocked doors or not. The victims did the right thing in contacting authorities immediately.

While dorm residents shouldn’t have to worry about things like this, they’re facts of life. Home invasion occurs outside of college as well, and students should start preparing for this harsh reality. Lock your door, keep an eye on your belongings and listen to Dodson: “Hide ya kids, hide ya wife and hide ya husband.”

But really, be safe.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Staff editorial 11/10: safety is in your hands”

1. Mike says:

This is a great point and security is really good at keeping intruders out (i’ve seen it in person), but when residents sign random people in and leave their doors unlocked at night make the entire building unsafe. I also want to point out that in the suite-style housing, don’t forget that when you leave your door unlocked, the whole suit is now vulnerable. Check up on each other and remember we are all a family on campus and Canes should always care for fellow Canes!

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...