Tackle goals, plans on a daily basis

It was so much easier to go on Facebook than it was to write this column. I mean, do you know how hard and time consuming it is to write your very first article for a newspaper?

You probably don’t. But then again, we probably don’t do a lot of things we wish we did. We didn’t join that weird esoteric club that caught our eye. We didn’t get up and vote in the last election. We didn’t stick to our diet (come on, how am I supposed to not eat bacon pizza?).

Change comes into our lives and we tell it to go away because the mundane is far more reliable. A vast majority of us want to be different people, but we don’t want to spend a lot of time and effort to get there. It’s no wonder that the slogan of “change” was so influential in the 2008 election. Why should we change our own lives when one person can do it for us?

Yet when things don’t seem to change, we’re far too busy to go about and try to enact it; it’s far more effective to complain about it on the Internet. Of course, I’ll get the emails and letters (or maybe not, considering the hassle) about how stressful and busy a student’s life is.

Meaningful change can take place over short increments. Want to write a novel? Four hundred words a day, about the length of this very piece of writing, will get you an 84,000-word novel in seven months. You probably won’t get published, but you wrote a book. Your grave can say, “Joe Doe wrote a novel.”

Seven months too long a commitment for you? One hour a day for a month gives you more than 28 hours to change a myriad of things. You could plan, budget or set up that week-long vacation to Brazil you’ve always wanted to go on. Even those people that promise to work out more on Jan. 1 but end up in their usual routine by Groundhog Day have at least tried to change their lifestyles.
Yet the fact that we only think about changing ourselves at the end and beginning of every year is the root of this problem. The completion of a goal of any size can be accomplished when we tackle it day by day.

James Hennessy is a freshman majoring in math.

James Hennessy

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...