Staff editorial 11/7: Homecoming concerts lack variety

Homecoming Week is full of major on-campus events at UM and, for many students, the concert is the height of the excitement. For others, however, it’s full of disappointment.

On Friday, Ludacris performed at the BankUnited Center to primarily positive reviews. Many students who attended last year’s Homecoming concert were relieved that a repeat of the Lauryn Hill fiasco did not occur. While Ludacris’ performance was far from perfect, he put on a good show and it was a definite improvement from last year.

However, many students were not able to gauge this difference because they did not attend. Ludacris is the latest in a string of rap and hip hop shows on campus that hold little to no appeal for students that have no interest in that genre.

UM hosts several artists each year, and even less-publicized performances by smaller artists draw decent crowds. Matisyahu performed for a full house at the Fieldhouse, as did Tufts University’s acapella group, Beelzebubs, when they headlined at the Rathskeller.

There is a market for other genres of music at UM, and some students are ready for concerts that are more tailored to their interests. This desire for change was evident in a poll  by The Miami Hurricane on Facebook targeted at the UM community. As of Sunday evening, 44 percent of the 207 votes thought that Hurricane Productions should consider “alternative/rock” performers for future concerts. Following in second with 26 percent was the “techno/dance/house” genre.

Our last few Homecoming concerts have had headliners that have not been entirely relevant, and rely heavily on name recognition and nostalgic appeal. Miami should not have a problem attracting different performers. Making the leap to a country artist may be a bit drastic, but there are many other available artists who will generate excitement in the student body and will be a welcome change from the same old hip hop performances.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Staff editorial 11/7: Homecoming concerts lack variety”

1. Marcus says:

What Lauryn HIll fiasco?? She was absolutely amazing last year and she tore that show up. If you need evidence, there’s videos on youtube to prove it. Sometimes I can’t stand you guys at my school. Everyone has opinions, but a few bad ones don’t dictate an entire experience. It’s time you guys learn some true journalism.

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...