Three UM campuses will be decorated to end Homecoming

Senior Kailey Billings receives her crown at Tuesday’s Homecoming King and Queen Ceremony. “My mom is going to be so proud of me,” Billings said.Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

With Homecoming week in full swing, students can celebrate the end of a week of Hurricane pride with a spirit day on Friday.

The Department of Auxiliary Services, in collaboration with the Division of Logo Licensing, Student Government and the Division of Student Affairs, will host the brand new ‘Canes Spirit Day this year. The event will be in addition to the Hurricane Howl, the final Homecoming festivity, which will also be held on Friday.

“[The Department of Auxiliary Services] noticed the culture of campus,” said senior Brandon Mitchell, Student Government president. “They noticed that there was a big opportunity to really capitalize off it and it’s going to make it a really awesome experience to be on campus that day.”

The goal will be to transform all three UM campuses overnight. Decorations on the Coral Gables campus will include spandex canopies in the palm trees, 8-foot-tall letters on the University Green, drapery on the Dauer Clock Tower and oversized balloons on the Rock.

On the medical campus, the fountain will be orange and green, UM colors will decorate the trash bins as well, and banners will wrap around columns. On the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science campus, the main building will be trimmed with orange and green, with decorations everywhere including the potted plants.

“Wherever you go, in any direction, you’re going to see spirit, which I think is really cool,” Mitchell said. “It’s not something you see any other day at any other campus. It’s really unique.”

A ‘Canes Spirit Photo contest is also currently underway. Students, faculty and alumni can submit spirited photos at miami.edu/canesspirit. Prizes will include catered lunches and gift cards. The deadline is Friday at 5 p.m.

Throughout Friday, students dressed in spandex morph suits will be handing out spirited giveaways, the bookstore will be hosting a sidewalk sale, and AllCanes will be offering 20 percent off for all students and faculty.

Students, faculty and alumni are also encouraged to wear orange and green on Friday.

This is the first spirit day that will include all three campuses.

“I think that’s one of the problems that we wanted to address coming into this year,” Mitchell said. “The Coral Gables campus is such a tight-knit family, but sometimes it gets detached. You might be in downtown Miami or at RSMAS, but we’re still Miami Hurricanes.”

Mitchell is excited about the upcoming event.

“The combination of dressing up the campus, combined with everyone wearing orange and green, is going to be something really special, because it’s going to be something the campus has never done before,” he said.

Freshman Robert Kelly  is also looking forward to the spirit day.

“It’s not an everyday occurrence,” Kelly said. “It will definitely help everyone get more involved in Homecoming and get excited. You’re having fun instead of just being in school.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Elizabeth De Armas

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...