Three UM campuses will be decorated to end Homecoming

Senior Kailey Billings receives her crown at Tuesday’s Homecoming King and Queen Ceremony. “My mom is going to be so proud of me,” Billings said.Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

With Homecoming week in full swing, students can celebrate the end of a week of Hurricane pride with a spirit day on Friday.

The Department of Auxiliary Services, in collaboration with the Division of Logo Licensing, Student Government and the Division of Student Affairs, will host the brand new ‘Canes Spirit Day this year. The event will be in addition to the Hurricane Howl, the final Homecoming festivity, which will also be held on Friday.

“[The Department of Auxiliary Services] noticed the culture of campus,” said senior Brandon Mitchell, Student Government president. “They noticed that there was a big opportunity to really capitalize off it and it’s going to make it a really awesome experience to be on campus that day.”

The goal will be to transform all three UM campuses overnight. Decorations on the Coral Gables campus will include spandex canopies in the palm trees, 8-foot-tall letters on the University Green, drapery on the Dauer Clock Tower and oversized balloons on the Rock.

On the medical campus, the fountain will be orange and green, UM colors will decorate the trash bins as well, and banners will wrap around columns. On the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science campus, the main building will be trimmed with orange and green, with decorations everywhere including the potted plants.

“Wherever you go, in any direction, you’re going to see spirit, which I think is really cool,” Mitchell said. “It’s not something you see any other day at any other campus. It’s really unique.”

A ‘Canes Spirit Photo contest is also currently underway. Students, faculty and alumni can submit spirited photos at miami.edu/canesspirit. Prizes will include catered lunches and gift cards. The deadline is Friday at 5 p.m.

Throughout Friday, students dressed in spandex morph suits will be handing out spirited giveaways, the bookstore will be hosting a sidewalk sale, and AllCanes will be offering 20 percent off for all students and faculty.

Students, faculty and alumni are also encouraged to wear orange and green on Friday.

This is the first spirit day that will include all three campuses.

“I think that’s one of the problems that we wanted to address coming into this year,” Mitchell said. “The Coral Gables campus is such a tight-knit family, but sometimes it gets detached. You might be in downtown Miami or at RSMAS, but we’re still Miami Hurricanes.”

Mitchell is excited about the upcoming event.

“The combination of dressing up the campus, combined with everyone wearing orange and green, is going to be something really special, because it’s going to be something the campus has never done before,” he said.

Freshman Robert Kelly  is also looking forward to the spirit day.

“It’s not an everyday occurrence,” Kelly said. “It will definitely help everyone get more involved in Homecoming and get excited. You’re having fun instead of just being in school.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Elizabeth De Armas

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...