Three UM campuses will be decorated to end Homecoming

Senior Kailey Billings receives her crown at Tuesday’s Homecoming King and Queen Ceremony. “My mom is going to be so proud of me,” Billings said.Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

With Homecoming week in full swing, students can celebrate the end of a week of Hurricane pride with a spirit day on Friday.

The Department of Auxiliary Services, in collaboration with the Division of Logo Licensing, Student Government and the Division of Student Affairs, will host the brand new ‘Canes Spirit Day this year. The event will be in addition to the Hurricane Howl, the final Homecoming festivity, which will also be held on Friday.

“[The Department of Auxiliary Services] noticed the culture of campus,” said senior Brandon Mitchell, Student Government president. “They noticed that there was a big opportunity to really capitalize off it and it’s going to make it a really awesome experience to be on campus that day.”

The goal will be to transform all three UM campuses overnight. Decorations on the Coral Gables campus will include spandex canopies in the palm trees, 8-foot-tall letters on the University Green, drapery on the Dauer Clock Tower and oversized balloons on the Rock.

On the medical campus, the fountain will be orange and green, UM colors will decorate the trash bins as well, and banners will wrap around columns. On the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science campus, the main building will be trimmed with orange and green, with decorations everywhere including the potted plants.

“Wherever you go, in any direction, you’re going to see spirit, which I think is really cool,” Mitchell said. “It’s not something you see any other day at any other campus. It’s really unique.”

A ‘Canes Spirit Photo contest is also currently underway. Students, faculty and alumni can submit spirited photos at miami.edu/canesspirit. Prizes will include catered lunches and gift cards. The deadline is Friday at 5 p.m.

Throughout Friday, students dressed in spandex morph suits will be handing out spirited giveaways, the bookstore will be hosting a sidewalk sale, and AllCanes will be offering 20 percent off for all students and faculty.

Students, faculty and alumni are also encouraged to wear orange and green on Friday.

This is the first spirit day that will include all three campuses.

“I think that’s one of the problems that we wanted to address coming into this year,” Mitchell said. “The Coral Gables campus is such a tight-knit family, but sometimes it gets detached. You might be in downtown Miami or at RSMAS, but we’re still Miami Hurricanes.”

Mitchell is excited about the upcoming event.

“The combination of dressing up the campus, combined with everyone wearing orange and green, is going to be something really special, because it’s going to be something the campus has never done before,” he said.

Freshman Robert Kelly  is also looking forward to the spirit day.

“It’s not an everyday occurrence,” Kelly said. “It will definitely help everyone get more involved in Homecoming and get excited. You’re having fun instead of just being in school.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Elizabeth De Armas

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...