Football, Sports

Inconsistency plagues mediocre Canes

Allen Hums, wide receiver originally from Miami, scores during the first half of the game on Thursday against Virginia University. Zach Beeker// The Miami Hurricane

At 4-4 and 2-3 in the ACC, Miami could easily be considered mediocre, the victim of unrealistic preseason expectations for a program that struggled with many harsh realities.

But the road the Hurricanes took to this average record was anything but mundane, with countless swings and swoons along the way.

The new week breeds new hope.

Against Duke (3-5, 1-3 ACC), currently the only team behind the Hurricanes in the Coastal Division, there again exists an opportunity for Miami to get back on track for the remaining few games this season.

In every major team statistical category, the Blue Devils rank in the bottom third of the ACC.

The one area in which Duke has shown productivity is through the air, where junior quarterback Sean Renfree ranks third in passing yards per game,  even though he’s thrown just six touchdowns.

“There’s so many catch-and-run plays with Duke, and Renfree does a great job of making the ball catchable, so there is a lot of yards after catch,” head coach Al Golden said. “I think that is a credit to Coach Cutcliffe. They get the ball out quickly, which also puts you in a bind. Are you going to rush four and only have seven in coverage?”

That question – what this defense must do to improve against the pass – has yet to be answered this season. Even with the addition of Ray-Ray Armstrong, whose production has not truly reflected his talent or ability, Miami has allowed offenses an average of 207 yards in the air per game.

The Canes are also third-to-last in rush defense in the ACC, leaving serious holes that one strong player or scheme could not possibly fill. That being said, linebacker Sean Spence has given it his best shot.

While Miami stands in the middle of the pack in terms of yards surrendered through the air, they have intercepted the ball less than every other ACC team – just four times all season.

“[McGee] needs to challenge the guy a little more and trust his technique, his talent,” Golden said of starting cornerback Brandon McGee. “He made a physical play against Georgia Tech and didn’t quite return. I’d like to see him make that physical play and return – have the confidence to return and fight through it. Have the confidence to be a little more aggressive, not reckless, but be a little more aggressive and assertive.”

At times this season, all aspects of this team have looked to be above average. Some playmakers , such as quarterback Jacory Harris and running back Lamar Millar, have teetered on the edge of elite status.

But just as the bright spots shine brighter, a bad game, an uncharacteristic mental lapse or demons of the past show themselves again. However, a bit of patience could be worthwhile in the end, as all of these problems  – some of which persist all the way up through the coaching staff – are correctable.

Saturday’s game against Duke could be the next shred of disappointment this season, or could renew optimism for the end of this year and the future. At this point, it is anyone’s guess.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...