Imaginative minds breed hope, love, faith

A typical day at the park consists of the sound of children laughing, squeaky tire swings and more. But this park was deserted. Nothing more than paint chips with rusty equipment barely standing – a child’s wasteland.

I stood up to brush away the sand on my shins; my knees were still dotted with indentations from the grains. The wasteland had become a kingdom so fruitful with castles and a horizon as endless as the imagination – a kingdom of sandcastles.

I believe in sandcastles.

I strive to live with an open mind waiting to be filled with the knowledge the world has to offer. I aim to live with an open heart waiting to be filled with love from people I have yet to meet. I want to use my imagination to see the world.

My imagination allows me to view the world as what it could be, not as what it would be or how it should be. It gives me potential to see the “what ifs” in a world that only says “what is”
and to tell the world that I believe in sandcastles.

We must fill our pails with the sand of hope and the water of faith to bind our castle together. When we have completely overwhelmed ourselves with the wishes and devotions of our imaginations, only then can we flip over our pails and reveal our finished sandcastles – our testimonies of hope and faith to the world.

Sandcastles are planted in the mind and grown on the Earth. It is through our imagination that we can foster hope for those that have lost sight of their sandcastles.

Without imagination, all that is left is the harsh reality of a wilting world with peeling paint and rusty playground equipment. Imagination gives us hope. I believe in sandcastles because I believe in hope.

Alanna Phillips is a freshman majoring in health sciences.

Alanna Phillips

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...