Eye on Hurricane Safety: Rina expected to take detour

Hurricane Rina is expected to downgrade to a Category 1 storm as it approaches the Yucatan peninsula on Thursday.

The National Hurricane Center also predicts that Rina will bring stormy weather to South Florida over the weekend. Still, a direct hit to the state is not projected, according to an article in The Miami Herald.

Residents, however, should still prepare. In 2005, Hurricane Wilma followed a similar path and hit South Florida as a Category 1 storm. It caused 25 deaths, along with power outages in more than 3 million homes.

Here are a few tips to help UM students prepare in case a hurricane strikes.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...