Eye on Hurricane Safety: Rina expected to take detour

Hurricane Rina is expected to downgrade to a Category 1 storm as it approaches the Yucatan peninsula on Thursday.

The National Hurricane Center also predicts that Rina will bring stormy weather to South Florida over the weekend. Still, a direct hit to the state is not projected, according to an article in The Miami Herald.

Residents, however, should still prepare. In 2005, Hurricane Wilma followed a similar path and hit South Florida as a Category 1 storm. It caused 25 deaths, along with power outages in more than 3 million homes.

Here are a few tips to help UM students prepare in case a hurricane strikes.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...