News Briefs 10/27

A POLITICAL VISIT

Condoleezza Rice, former National Security Adviser and Secretary of State under the George W. Bush administration, is scheduled to speak to students on Nov. 3 at 1 p.m. in the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse. Rice will discuss her career in Washington and her new book, “No Higher Honor – A Memoir of My Years in Washington.” Students may pick up tickets with a valid Cane Card from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the UC Information Desk on Thursday. The first 200 students will receive a free book.

MOCK INTERVIEWS

The Toppel Career Center will be holding walk-in mini mock interviews with a peer adviser. Mock interviews are available Monday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Tuesday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

APPLE RAFFLE

The Office of Student Account Services is raffling an iPod Touch, iPad 2 and MacBook Pro in support of United Way. Tickets are being sold in the office (Ashe #158) Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Dec. 1. Tickets will be sold one for $5 or 3 for $10. The drawing will be held on Dec. 2 at noon. Winners will be contacted via email.

FREE PIZZA

The Society of Professional Journalists will be hosting a lunch in the School of Communication Courtyard on Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. Students who give up their First Amendment right of freedom of speech will receive free pizza. For more information, email umspjinfo@gmail.com

SCHOLARSHIP

Sophomores and juniors pursuing a career in mathematics, engineering or the natural sciences may be eligible for the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship which covers up to $7,500 of expenses per year. Students with a strong academic record (3.7+ GPA) are encouraged to apply. For more information, email the Office of Prestigious Awards and Fellowships at prestigiousawards@miami.edu or visit miami.edu/awards.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.