Student faces several charges after fatal crash

Ivanna Villanueva, a 19-year-old UM sophomore, was charged with vehicular homicide, DUI manslaughter and possession of false driver’s licenses on Monday, according to police reports.

At 4:30 a.m. on Oct. 4, Villanueva crashed her father’s Audi Q5 into Eyder Ayala’s Ford Focus. The impact pushed the back of Ayala’s car into the front seat, according to a report released by WSVN Miami, the local Fox affiliate.

Villanueva was driving back from South Beach after drinking underage at Liv, a club located inside the Fountainebleau Hotel. Her blood alcohol level after the crash was .231, according to an article in The Miami Herald.

Ayala, a manager at a local McDonald’s, was returning home from a night shift. The 68-year-old was a mother of five and a grandmother of seven.

The court set Villanueva’s bond at $50,000, and she was released on bond out of jail the same day.

She was given an electronic bracelet and put under house arrest. However, she is allowed to attend classes.

Ayala’s family is suing Villanueva and her father for negligence. Attorneys for the family also mentioned that they might pursue a lawsuit against Liv for serving alcohol to Villanueva, according to a report released from CBS 4.

David O. Markus, Villanueva’s attorney, released a statement to The Miami Herald: “This is a tragic case all around, and the Villanueva family would like to extend their deepest sympathies to the Ayala family.”

A hearing is scheduled for Jan. 13, 2012.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...