Stacks prevent procrastination

I sneeze and can nearly feel the death glare from my neighbor through my cubicle wall as I try to turn the page of my textbook as silently as possible. In the Richter Library Stacks Tower, in this instance on the 7th floor, any form of noise seems unacceptable. Alas, there goes my master plan to longboard between the rows of books.

This was my first time ever studying in the stacks and easily the most productive six hours that I’ve had yet this semester. It may be the mindset of working in the library that helped me avoid procrastinating, the near-requirement to be silent or the fear of judging from fellow students that keeps my work ethic so strong here.

There are so many aspects about the stacks that I question. Is there a certain reason people choose to study on a specific level? If I got murdered in the stacks, how long would it take for someone to find me? Am I really the only person up here who’s incredibly creeped out?

The stacks aren’t for everyone, but I can almost guarantee that if you’re willing to work there, you will get into your “crunch” mode sooner than you think. Losing track of time could be a problem, as hours slip by faster that you’d think, but the amount of work completed at the end of your study session will be worth it.

Alexa Pappas is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism and sport administration.

Alexa Pappas

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...