Scholarship honors Sigma Chi brother

Sophomores Drew Malinsky and Alex Otsbye compete in Sigma Chi’s memorial tournament to raise funds for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

A soccer tournament held Sunday raised more than $2,000 for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created by members of Sigma Chi to honor the late UM student and fellow fraternity brother.

Emmons, a 19-year-old sophomore majoring in entrepreneurship, was struck by a car traveling southbound on San Amaro Drive in the early morning of Dec. 5, 2010.

The fraternity, in conjunction with the campus organization Students for Traffic Safety, held a sand soccer tournament at the on-campus fraternity house Sunday afternoon.

During the opening ceremony of the tournament, the brothers raised a flag in honor of Emmons, which will continue to fly in his memory.

All the proceeds from the tournament will go towards the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created in a collaborative effort between Sigma Chi and the Emmons family.

The fund allows students to attend Emmons’ alma mater, Out-of-Door Academy, a private high school located in Sarasota, Fla.

The money raised will provide one student each year who best exemplifies Emmons’ friendly, loving personality the opportunity to attend the academy on full scholarship for all four years.

Emmons’ parents worked closely with Sigma Chi on the project and attended the event.

“Best kid I ever knew,” senior Nate Fledhacker said. “Fun-loving, he lit up a room [and had]no enemies. He meant the world to our fraternity.”

Fledhacker grew up in Sarasota with Emmons and has been one of his best friends since they were 13 years old.

He encouraged Emmons to join the UM community and later become a member of the fraternity.

Emmons’ death marked the second time in a one-month span that a UM student was killed while walking on or near the campus.

Senior Scott Furlaud, a Sigma Chi brother, added that Emmons was “really friendly, really welcoming and really open.”

Junior Nate Kalin, who also grew up with Emmons, organized the tournament. He said he’s happy that he can honor Emmons through the scholarship fund.

“I’m really thankful for all the people who are coming out and for the fraternity and Emmons’ parents,” Kalin said.

Paul Levy

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...