Scholarship honors Sigma Chi brother

Sophomores Drew Malinsky and Alex Otsbye compete in Sigma Chi’s memorial tournament to raise funds for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

A soccer tournament held Sunday raised more than $2,000 for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created by members of Sigma Chi to honor the late UM student and fellow fraternity brother.

Emmons, a 19-year-old sophomore majoring in entrepreneurship, was struck by a car traveling southbound on San Amaro Drive in the early morning of Dec. 5, 2010.

The fraternity, in conjunction with the campus organization Students for Traffic Safety, held a sand soccer tournament at the on-campus fraternity house Sunday afternoon.

During the opening ceremony of the tournament, the brothers raised a flag in honor of Emmons, which will continue to fly in his memory.

All the proceeds from the tournament will go towards the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created in a collaborative effort between Sigma Chi and the Emmons family.

The fund allows students to attend Emmons’ alma mater, Out-of-Door Academy, a private high school located in Sarasota, Fla.

The money raised will provide one student each year who best exemplifies Emmons’ friendly, loving personality the opportunity to attend the academy on full scholarship for all four years.

Emmons’ parents worked closely with Sigma Chi on the project and attended the event.

“Best kid I ever knew,” senior Nate Fledhacker said. “Fun-loving, he lit up a room [and had]no enemies. He meant the world to our fraternity.”

Fledhacker grew up in Sarasota with Emmons and has been one of his best friends since they were 13 years old.

He encouraged Emmons to join the UM community and later become a member of the fraternity.

Emmons’ death marked the second time in a one-month span that a UM student was killed while walking on or near the campus.

Senior Scott Furlaud, a Sigma Chi brother, added that Emmons was “really friendly, really welcoming and really open.”

Junior Nate Kalin, who also grew up with Emmons, organized the tournament. He said he’s happy that he can honor Emmons through the scholarship fund.

“I’m really thankful for all the people who are coming out and for the fraternity and Emmons’ parents,” Kalin said.

Paul Levy

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...