Scholarship honors Sigma Chi brother

Sophomores Drew Malinsky and Alex Otsbye compete in Sigma Chi’s memorial tournament to raise funds for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

A soccer tournament held Sunday raised more than $2,000 for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created by members of Sigma Chi to honor the late UM student and fellow fraternity brother.

Emmons, a 19-year-old sophomore majoring in entrepreneurship, was struck by a car traveling southbound on San Amaro Drive in the early morning of Dec. 5, 2010.

The fraternity, in conjunction with the campus organization Students for Traffic Safety, held a sand soccer tournament at the on-campus fraternity house Sunday afternoon.

During the opening ceremony of the tournament, the brothers raised a flag in honor of Emmons, which will continue to fly in his memory.

All the proceeds from the tournament will go towards the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created in a collaborative effort between Sigma Chi and the Emmons family.

The fund allows students to attend Emmons’ alma mater, Out-of-Door Academy, a private high school located in Sarasota, Fla.

The money raised will provide one student each year who best exemplifies Emmons’ friendly, loving personality the opportunity to attend the academy on full scholarship for all four years.

Emmons’ parents worked closely with Sigma Chi on the project and attended the event.

“Best kid I ever knew,” senior Nate Fledhacker said. “Fun-loving, he lit up a room [and had]no enemies. He meant the world to our fraternity.”

Fledhacker grew up in Sarasota with Emmons and has been one of his best friends since they were 13 years old.

He encouraged Emmons to join the UM community and later become a member of the fraternity.

Emmons’ death marked the second time in a one-month span that a UM student was killed while walking on or near the campus.

Senior Scott Furlaud, a Sigma Chi brother, added that Emmons was “really friendly, really welcoming and really open.”

Junior Nate Kalin, who also grew up with Emmons, organized the tournament. He said he’s happy that he can honor Emmons through the scholarship fund.

“I’m really thankful for all the people who are coming out and for the fraternity and Emmons’ parents,” Kalin said.

Paul Levy

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...