News briefs 10/24

FOOD DAY

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement will host its first ever Food Day on Monday to discuss food-related issues, and promote healthy and sustainable food patterns. There will be a Farmers Market on the Rock from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and screenings of food justice movies from 7 to 10 p.m. at the CAS Gallery, in addition to other events. For more information, visit miami.edu/civic or email civicengagement@miami.edu.

UNITED NATIONS DAY

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ annual United Nations Day will be held on Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. on the University Green. This year’s events will focus on environmental issues found across different countries and cultures. For more information, visit greeningtheblue.org.

PHILANTHROPY DAY

The Senior Class Gift Committee and the Office of Alumni Relations will celebrate the second annual Philanthropy Awareness Day on Nov. 9 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the University Green. The event will highlight the importance of alumni donations to fund scholarships and fill the gap of tuition costs.

Students will be able to sign a thank you letter to generous alumni; the first 300 students to sign the letter will receive a free Hurricane Pride T-shirt. For more information, visit miami.edu/seniorclassgift, or call Gabriel Trieger at 305-284-9200 or email Trieger at g.trieger@miami.edu.

COOKING CLASS

Chef Mercedes returns with an Argentine-style cooking class featuring churrasco with homemade chimichurri and panqueques de dulce de leche on Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Enrichment Suite. The class is $20 for students and Wellness Center members, and $25 for non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...