News briefs 10/24

FOOD DAY

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement will host its first ever Food Day on Monday to discuss food-related issues, and promote healthy and sustainable food patterns. There will be a Farmers Market on the Rock from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and screenings of food justice movies from 7 to 10 p.m. at the CAS Gallery, in addition to other events. For more information, visit miami.edu/civic or email civicengagement@miami.edu.

UNITED NATIONS DAY

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ annual United Nations Day will be held on Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. on the University Green. This year’s events will focus on environmental issues found across different countries and cultures. For more information, visit greeningtheblue.org.

PHILANTHROPY DAY

The Senior Class Gift Committee and the Office of Alumni Relations will celebrate the second annual Philanthropy Awareness Day on Nov. 9 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the University Green. The event will highlight the importance of alumni donations to fund scholarships and fill the gap of tuition costs.

Students will be able to sign a thank you letter to generous alumni; the first 300 students to sign the letter will receive a free Hurricane Pride T-shirt. For more information, visit miami.edu/seniorclassgift, or call Gabriel Trieger at 305-284-9200 or email Trieger at g.trieger@miami.edu.

COOKING CLASS

Chef Mercedes returns with an Argentine-style cooking class featuring churrasco with homemade chimichurri and panqueques de dulce de leche on Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Enrichment Suite. The class is $20 for students and Wellness Center members, and $25 for non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...