News briefs 10/24

FOOD DAY

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement will host its first ever Food Day on Monday to discuss food-related issues, and promote healthy and sustainable food patterns. There will be a Farmers Market on the Rock from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and screenings of food justice movies from 7 to 10 p.m. at the CAS Gallery, in addition to other events. For more information, visit miami.edu/civic or email civicengagement@miami.edu.

UNITED NATIONS DAY

The Council of International Students and Organizations’ annual United Nations Day will be held on Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. on the University Green. This year’s events will focus on environmental issues found across different countries and cultures. For more information, visit greeningtheblue.org.

PHILANTHROPY DAY

The Senior Class Gift Committee and the Office of Alumni Relations will celebrate the second annual Philanthropy Awareness Day on Nov. 9 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the University Green. The event will highlight the importance of alumni donations to fund scholarships and fill the gap of tuition costs.

Students will be able to sign a thank you letter to generous alumni; the first 300 students to sign the letter will receive a free Hurricane Pride T-shirt. For more information, visit miami.edu/seniorclassgift, or call Gabriel Trieger at 305-284-9200 or email Trieger at g.trieger@miami.edu.

COOKING CLASS

Chef Mercedes returns with an Argentine-style cooking class featuring churrasco with homemade chimichurri and panqueques de dulce de leche on Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Enrichment Suite. The class is $20 for students and Wellness Center members, and $25 for non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...