Haven for vegans and vegetarians

We can be lazy when it comes to food; we get used to going for the cheapest and quickest option. But with the number of healthy options growing, it may be time to change our diets and stop sacrificing our health.

Green Gables Cafe is a Coral Gables restaurant that serves local produce and organic food. Whether you are concerned about the treatment of animals or you’re just health-conscious, you can dine in delight.

“People love food and enjoy the environment here. They feel relaxed,” owner Ana Rabel said. “I have been a vegetarian for a long time. Once I had children, I started thinking about giving them nutrition without high calories. So I planned to open an organic food restaurant with my daughter when she decided to help me after graduating from the University of Miami.”

Rabel and her daughter, Laura Alfonso, opened Green Gables Cafe in October 2007. The cafe is fully committed to their local and organic ingredients, and to presenting a vegan and vegetarian-friendly menu.

“Burgers and fries are not good for health,” Rabel said. “I love my friends and community, and also care their health; green food can give us a healthier life.”

In Green Gables Cafe, you find “green” everywhere, from the food to the decors. Rabel’s daughter, Alfonso, used an eco-friendly paint that does not pollute the air or emit fumes that can be toxic. Local artists are invited to hang their art for sale. Carlos Santos’ work currently decorates the walls.

“We want to give our customers a relaxing environment and make them feel well,” Rabel said. “Respecting our environment is part of nutrition to me.”

Most items on the menu are less than $10 and made fresh daily. Dishes are marked vegan, vegetarian, wheat-free or gluten-free, easing the process for guests with allergies and dietary restrictions.

“I am happy about the soups we serve,” Rabel said. “They are very different from soups in other restaurants. Our soups are made with lots of vegetables and beans; they are really healthy and delicious.”

The restaurant has become a popular lunch haven for locals in the Miracle Mile area. Rabel is happy to see this development.

“I plan to operate an organic food market in the near future,” she said. “Then people can buy ingredients from our market and make green food by themselves at home.”

Green Gables Café is open Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m at 327 Alhambra Circle, Coral Gables, Fla. For more information, visit greengablescafe.com or call (305) 445-7015.

Jing Xu

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya was selected with the 215th overall pick by the Detroit Lion ...