Students wait in long line for Ludacris tickets

While some students lined up outside the University Center throughout the day, others camped out in lawn chairs from as early as 6:30 a.m. on Thursday for the start of the Homecoming concert’s ticket distribution.

After changing the location of the concert from the University Green to the BankUnited Center, a collective decision was made to require tickets for Ludacris’ performance.

“It’s a fire code issue if we don’t distribute tickets,” said Joshua Brandfon, associate director of the Office of Student Activities and Student Organizations. “It’d be harder to know how many people we’d be letting into the concert.”

Additionally, the tickets give students, faculty, staff and alumni priority seating, Brandfon said.

Although ticket distribution is a new system for the Homecoming concert, the process has proved to be successful thus far.

“It was very organized,” Brandfon said. “Students probably waited an average of 20 minutes for a ticket, even when the line reached the library.”

Aaron Martin, a student assistant at the UC’s information desk, also said the ticket distribution was orderly.

“The only problem we’ve really had is students forgetting their Cane Cards, but [the process]has been controlled and organized,” Martin said.

Some students were satisfied with the new system’s efficiency.

“We’re not huge fans of Ludacris, but the line’s moving quickly, so the wait isn’t bad,” freshman Brie Maris said.

Other students, however, do not feel that the ticket distribution system is just.

“It’s frustrating because I want to see Ludacris, but I feel like standing in line for so long is a waste of time,” said sophomore Kerstin Schmitt, who waited in line for more than 30 minutes. “I’m going to have to wait again that night for close-up seats since both sections are general admission.”

Four thousand tickets were distributed on Thursday, and floor tickets sold out within a few hours.

However, Brandfon said more floor tickets will be available Monday.

“We had to change the configuration of the concert’s setup, but we wanted students to have a good experience,” he said.

Students who picked up general admission seat tickets can return to the UC’s ticket window and exchange them for available floor seats.

Although the process has run efficiently so far, it is uncertain if the same system and location will be implemented for next year’s concert.

“We want to see how the new process meshes with the other Homecoming events like the fireworks and the parade,” Branford said. “It also depends on the stature of the artist and how big the demand is anticipated to be.”

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...