Staff editorial 10/20: Greeks face unfair restrictions

The Dean of Students Office at the University of Miami have issued a new policy that will limit all students attending parties on Frat Row to bringing a four-pack of beer, as opposed to the previous regulation of a six-pack or more. The University hopes that, by limiting drink intake to one alcoholic beverage per hour, they will prevent binge drinking. Kegs, punches and drinking games, like beer pong, are also forbidden.

This new policy is an addition to the previously-set regulations, which include a prohibition on fraternity hosts providing alcohol to their attendants and extending the party for more than four hours. Furthermore, the hosts are required to station a police officer outside of the party and have someone verify IDs at the door.

The University justifies its new legislation by stating that these restrictions will ensure the safety of its students. However, these policies will surely be difficult to monitor, so it seems a bit unrealistic to hope that they will be successful. This new regulation may incite others to throw these same “dangerous” parties at off-campus locations.

The truth is, these restrictions are being imposed in order to protect students. But should this regulation solely target Greek organizations?

It’s unclear why fraternity houses are put under such limitations when the Rathskeller, which is located right at the heart of campus, is not facing similar restrictions.

What makes drinking at the Rathskeller safe? Students can sit at the Rathskeller and drink all day if they choose to, though it’s written in UM’s Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook that the manager and employees decide when someone has consumed too much alcohol.

If the University is going to put a limit on drinking, it should be applied to campus as a whole. Although Greek life may be stereotypically associated with excessive alcohol consumption and partying, it is unfair to target them specifically.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...