Sports Briefs 10/20

Women’s basketball
For the first time since joining the ACC in 2004, the Hurricanes women’s basketball team is projected to finish atop the conference. They were predicted to finish first by 30 of 40 local and national media voters. University officials from around the country also voted. Seniors Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have also been named to the preseason All-ACC team. The season opens up on Nov. 11 when the Canes face Texas-Pan American.

Volleyball
After going 1-1 in this past weekend’s homestand, the Canes volleyball team hit the road once again through Massachusetts and Maryland. On Friday night, the Canes will make their first stop in Chestnut Hill to take on the Boston College Eagles. That matchup will begin at 7 p.m. The Canes will then visit College Park to play the Terrapins on Sunday beginning at 1 p.m. Miami will be back home to kick off a four-game homestand on Oct. 28 against the Virginia Cavaliers.

Baseball
The baseball team has announced that former Hurricane player Thomas “Tommy” Gil passed away on Sunday afternoon. He played for former coach Ron Fraser from 1978-1981. He died after inhaling toxic fumes that seeped into a manhole during a septic tank repair near Esther’s Restaurant, which he co-owned. Funeral services will take place at Dade Christian in Hialeah on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
The baseball team also announced that they will be playing two scrimmages at Alex Rodriguez Park this fall. The team will hit the field on Nov. 10 against Miami Dade College. Following that matchup, the Canes will take on the Canadian National Team on Nov. 12. Both games are scheduled for a 6 p.m. start and are free and open to the public.

Soccer
After wrapping up their final homestand of the year, the Canes soccer team is on the road for their final two games of the regular season. Miami will kick off for the first time in a week this coming Sunday when they travel to Tallahassee to take on the Florida State Seminoles. The game will start at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...