Sports Briefs 10/20

Women’s basketball
For the first time since joining the ACC in 2004, the Hurricanes women’s basketball team is projected to finish atop the conference. They were predicted to finish first by 30 of 40 local and national media voters. University officials from around the country also voted. Seniors Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have also been named to the preseason All-ACC team. The season opens up on Nov. 11 when the Canes face Texas-Pan American.

Volleyball
After going 1-1 in this past weekend’s homestand, the Canes volleyball team hit the road once again through Massachusetts and Maryland. On Friday night, the Canes will make their first stop in Chestnut Hill to take on the Boston College Eagles. That matchup will begin at 7 p.m. The Canes will then visit College Park to play the Terrapins on Sunday beginning at 1 p.m. Miami will be back home to kick off a four-game homestand on Oct. 28 against the Virginia Cavaliers.

Baseball
The baseball team has announced that former Hurricane player Thomas “Tommy” Gil passed away on Sunday afternoon. He played for former coach Ron Fraser from 1978-1981. He died after inhaling toxic fumes that seeped into a manhole during a septic tank repair near Esther’s Restaurant, which he co-owned. Funeral services will take place at Dade Christian in Hialeah on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
The baseball team also announced that they will be playing two scrimmages at Alex Rodriguez Park this fall. The team will hit the field on Nov. 10 against Miami Dade College. Following that matchup, the Canes will take on the Canadian National Team on Nov. 12. Both games are scheduled for a 6 p.m. start and are free and open to the public.

Soccer
After wrapping up their final homestand of the year, the Canes soccer team is on the road for their final two games of the regular season. Miami will kick off for the first time in a week this coming Sunday when they travel to Tallahassee to take on the Florida State Seminoles. The game will start at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...