Sports Briefs 10/20

Women’s basketball
For the first time since joining the ACC in 2004, the Hurricanes women’s basketball team is projected to finish atop the conference. They were predicted to finish first by 30 of 40 local and national media voters. University officials from around the country also voted. Seniors Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have also been named to the preseason All-ACC team. The season opens up on Nov. 11 when the Canes face Texas-Pan American.

Volleyball
After going 1-1 in this past weekend’s homestand, the Canes volleyball team hit the road once again through Massachusetts and Maryland. On Friday night, the Canes will make their first stop in Chestnut Hill to take on the Boston College Eagles. That matchup will begin at 7 p.m. The Canes will then visit College Park to play the Terrapins on Sunday beginning at 1 p.m. Miami will be back home to kick off a four-game homestand on Oct. 28 against the Virginia Cavaliers.

Baseball
The baseball team has announced that former Hurricane player Thomas “Tommy” Gil passed away on Sunday afternoon. He played for former coach Ron Fraser from 1978-1981. He died after inhaling toxic fumes that seeped into a manhole during a septic tank repair near Esther’s Restaurant, which he co-owned. Funeral services will take place at Dade Christian in Hialeah on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
The baseball team also announced that they will be playing two scrimmages at Alex Rodriguez Park this fall. The team will hit the field on Nov. 10 against Miami Dade College. Following that matchup, the Canes will take on the Canadian National Team on Nov. 12. Both games are scheduled for a 6 p.m. start and are free and open to the public.

Soccer
After wrapping up their final homestand of the year, the Canes soccer team is on the road for their final two games of the regular season. Miami will kick off for the first time in a week this coming Sunday when they travel to Tallahassee to take on the Florida State Seminoles. The game will start at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...