Sports Briefs 10/20

Women’s basketball
For the first time since joining the ACC in 2004, the Hurricanes women’s basketball team is projected to finish atop the conference. They were predicted to finish first by 30 of 40 local and national media voters. University officials from around the country also voted. Seniors Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have also been named to the preseason All-ACC team. The season opens up on Nov. 11 when the Canes face Texas-Pan American.

Volleyball
After going 1-1 in this past weekend’s homestand, the Canes volleyball team hit the road once again through Massachusetts and Maryland. On Friday night, the Canes will make their first stop in Chestnut Hill to take on the Boston College Eagles. That matchup will begin at 7 p.m. The Canes will then visit College Park to play the Terrapins on Sunday beginning at 1 p.m. Miami will be back home to kick off a four-game homestand on Oct. 28 against the Virginia Cavaliers.

Baseball
The baseball team has announced that former Hurricane player Thomas “Tommy” Gil passed away on Sunday afternoon. He played for former coach Ron Fraser from 1978-1981. He died after inhaling toxic fumes that seeped into a manhole during a septic tank repair near Esther’s Restaurant, which he co-owned. Funeral services will take place at Dade Christian in Hialeah on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
The baseball team also announced that they will be playing two scrimmages at Alex Rodriguez Park this fall. The team will hit the field on Nov. 10 against Miami Dade College. Following that matchup, the Canes will take on the Canadian National Team on Nov. 12. Both games are scheduled for a 6 p.m. start and are free and open to the public.

Soccer
After wrapping up their final homestand of the year, the Canes soccer team is on the road for their final two games of the regular season. Miami will kick off for the first time in a week this coming Sunday when they travel to Tallahassee to take on the Florida State Seminoles. The game will start at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

About Author

Ernesto Suarez Sports Editor

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...