Revised policy limits alcohol consumption

A silent uproar has quickly spread among Greek students in response to recent alterations to fraternity house party policies.

Fraternities are particularly disgruntled by a new alcohol regulation instituted by the Dean of Students Office that limits partygoers from the previous six-beer maximum to a four-beer maximum.

According to the policy, people wishing to consume alcohol at a fraternity house party must bring their own beer and can only consume four 12-ounce beers over a four-hour period, the time limit set for an event.

Additionally, the policy requires guests to check in their alcohol after entering a party, in exchange for a ticket for each beverage that goes in.

The ticket is necessary to claim a beverage, and only one drink can be consumed at a time.

“Since national standards suggest that having more than one drink an hour would be considered binge drinking, we agreed with alcohol educators that the regulation should be changed and lowered to four beers,” said Tony Lake, associate dean of students and director of judicial affairs.

Lake refers to the standard set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The centers’ standard defines binge drinking as four or more drinks during a single occasion for women, and five or more drinks during a single occasion for men.

Though the shift from the six to four-beer maximum is minimal, fraternity members are concerned with the repercussions a chapter may face in the case of a violation, especially if it is accidental.

Along with the new alcohol policy, fraternities now risk permanent expulsion from the university for any violation that previously would have only led to temporary suspension.

“If you are in a fraternity that does everything right, but you have a minor problem, you get in a lot of trouble for something that is not entirely your fault,” said Doug Aguililla, risk manager of Lambda Chi Alpha. “It makes it so fraternities don’t want to throw parties because they feel that there’s just too much of a risk in it … It has gotten to the point where it’s almost more of a benefit not to be in a fraternity because you don’t have to deal with that liability.”

The slew of disappointment and fear also originates from a series of unexpected fire-code inspections that occurred over the summer and cost some fraternity chapters up to $70,000.

“The City of Coral Gables fire marshal has the authority to institute a check on fire-code regulations literally at a moment’s notice,” Lake said. “In the past, the fire marshal has just shown up and asked for a tour of the house. Recognizing that it is not a very effective way to schedule a time with students, this year the fire marshal contacted us early in the week and said that they would like to know when they could schedule a visit.”

Because fraternity members were not living in the houses during the summer, however, they were not notified of the inspections and were given little time to respond to required updates.

Fraternity advisors and their housing incorporation staff are responsible for reviewing fire marshal code, updating the houses and making necessary improvements, Lake said. The university acts as a liaison between the houses and the City of Coral Gables and can implement rules, but the properties are ultimately private and not owned by the university.

“There were varying degrees of issues that the fire marshal addressed, some more serious than others, but none of the houses were giving a failing mark on the inspection,” Lake said. “All were given time to make changes.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...