Long-distance romance is not impossible

Often in casual conversations, the inevitable question comes up:  “Do you have a girlfriend?”

If you answer, “I’m in a long-distance relationship,” most people are startled.

The belief that you are being robbed of the college experience has caused thousands of happy couples to break up since it has become the social norm.

What is this mystical “college experience,” and why is it so glamorous and appealing? What is it about simply going to different schools that leads to a breakup?

Refer back to the “college experience” as the culprit, which seems to mean having multiple partners and  hooking up with no strings attached.

This unhealthy lifestyle leads to jealousy of past hook-ups, STDs and the stress over finding a partner to
“get with.”

Take a minute to recall those wise words from “The Hangover:” “Remember what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Except for herpes. That shit’ll come back with you.”

Also, long-distance relationships can be more beneficial than most people think. It helps put more focus on one’s education. After all, that’s why we’re in college.

Sure, the distance may be difficult as time spent apart becomes greater than time spent together. However, Skype, Facebook and iChat allow you to connect and still be in each other’s lives just like before.

Don’t throw away something worthwhile for the possibility of something, or someone, new. You may eventually find yourself right back where you started.

Juan Pellerano is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Juan Pellerano

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...