Long-distance romance is not impossible

Often in casual conversations, the inevitable question comes up:  “Do you have a girlfriend?”

If you answer, “I’m in a long-distance relationship,” most people are startled.

The belief that you are being robbed of the college experience has caused thousands of happy couples to break up since it has become the social norm.

What is this mystical “college experience,” and why is it so glamorous and appealing? What is it about simply going to different schools that leads to a breakup?

Refer back to the “college experience” as the culprit, which seems to mean having multiple partners and  hooking up with no strings attached.

This unhealthy lifestyle leads to jealousy of past hook-ups, STDs and the stress over finding a partner to
“get with.”

Take a minute to recall those wise words from “The Hangover:” “Remember what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Except for herpes. That shit’ll come back with you.”

Also, long-distance relationships can be more beneficial than most people think. It helps put more focus on one’s education. After all, that’s why we’re in college.

Sure, the distance may be difficult as time spent apart becomes greater than time spent together. However, Skype, Facebook and iChat allow you to connect and still be in each other’s lives just like before.

Don’t throw away something worthwhile for the possibility of something, or someone, new. You may eventually find yourself right back where you started.

Juan Pellerano is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Authors

Juan Pellerano

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...