Long-distance romance is not impossible

Often in casual conversations, the inevitable question comes up:  “Do you have a girlfriend?”

If you answer, “I’m in a long-distance relationship,” most people are startled.

The belief that you are being robbed of the college experience has caused thousands of happy couples to break up since it has become the social norm.

What is this mystical “college experience,” and why is it so glamorous and appealing? What is it about simply going to different schools that leads to a breakup?

Refer back to the “college experience” as the culprit, which seems to mean having multiple partners and  hooking up with no strings attached.

This unhealthy lifestyle leads to jealousy of past hook-ups, STDs and the stress over finding a partner to
“get with.”

Take a minute to recall those wise words from “The Hangover:” “Remember what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Except for herpes. That shit’ll come back with you.”

Also, long-distance relationships can be more beneficial than most people think. It helps put more focus on one’s education. After all, that’s why we’re in college.

Sure, the distance may be difficult as time spent apart becomes greater than time spent together. However, Skype, Facebook and iChat allow you to connect and still be in each other’s lives just like before.

Don’t throw away something worthwhile for the possibility of something, or someone, new. You may eventually find yourself right back where you started.

Juan Pellerano is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

About Author

Stephanie Parra Editor-in-chief

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...