Football, Sports

Defense takes hit from suspension

With defensive lineman Olivier Vernon returning from his NCAA-mandated six game suspension this weekend against Georgia Tech, the Hurricane defense was looking forward to  fielding a complete unit (not including injuries) for the first time all year.
Looks like that dream will be delayed for another week.
The team announced that senior defensive tackle Micanor Regis will be suspended for Saturday’s home game. The suspension was announced on Wednesday afternoon, with coach Al Golden citing a “violation of team rules” as the reason for his benching.
More directly, the suspension comes after a play Regis was involved in early in the second half of last week’s game at North Carolina. After the play had ended, replays show Regis punching North Carolina receiver Dwight Jones in the groin while getting up from a pile.
“Micanor’s actions in the North Carolina game will not be tolerated,” Golden said in a statement. “We expect our players to represent our program with class on and off the field, and when they do not, there are consequences. Quite honestly I’m embarrassed and I just apologized to Coach Withers and shared that sentiment. We do not teach, nor will we ever condone this type of behavior in our football program.”
Regis has also apologized for his actions after that play in a statement.
“I’m truly sorry for my foolish actions Saturday during the North Carolina game,” he said. “It was hurtful, wrong and embarrassing to both football programs, to both schools, and to the millions of college football fans that were watching. Specifically, I want to apologize to Dwight Jones, Coach Withers and the entire UNC football team. I am hoping and praying you all forgive me for my actions.”
The suspension could not come at a worse time for the Canes. With Miami still barely hanging on in the Coastal Division as they attempt to make their first ACC Championship game, they will welcome Georgia Tech to Sun Life Stadium on Saturday.
The Yellow Jackets rank second in the country in rushing and ninth overall in total offense. For a defense that has struggled to keep opposing offenses in check for the entirety of a game so far this season, the loss of a senior leader on the defensive line is a big detriment to the team.
The Canes’ depth at that position has already taken major hits, with both Marcus Forston and Curtis Porter out for the season with injuries, so Regis’ absence may play a significant role in Saturday’s game.
Miami currently finds itself tied with North Carolina for last place in the division with a 1-2 conference record. Georgia Tech sits atop the Coastal standings with a 3-1 ACC record. The Yellow Jackets are 6-1 overall.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor