A picture’s worth a thousand words

Gaby by Eli Blanco//Courtesy Robby Campbell

Behind every picture is a story. Robby Campbell and Jordan Melnick, creators of the independent culture blog, Beached Miami and the art project Sketchy Miami, wanted to prove just that by creating Sketchy Pink.

Sketchy Pink functions like Sketchy Miami, where anyone can be an artist or an artist’s subject. Campbell and Melnick, who teamed up with the creators of online resource and community Know Cancer,  are inviting everyone in Miami to send a picture of themselves to their website, SketchyMiami.com, and create portraits of other people who have submitted pictures.

The goal is to have a portrait for every person in Miami.

The purpose of Sketchy Pink is to allow people to share their breast cancer experiences through the art of portraiture. The effort will culminate in a Sketchy Pink Party at the Betsey-South Beach Hotel on Sunday evening.

For Pink, people that have had any kind of experience with breast cancer can submit photos. Campbell and Melnick also encourage artists to incorporate the color pink into their portrait.

“One of our partners in Sketchy Miami, Josh Snyder, is a cancer survivor and started the project Know Cancer with another guy,” Campbell said. “[Jordan and I] wanted to know how we could help by using Sketchy Miami, and we thought of awareness. Sketchy Pink is a good way to show how it can mold to certain causes.”

Campbell and Melnick will display the pink portraits at the University of Miami’s Braman Family Breast Cancer Institute through the end of October.

The project aims to facilitate intimate and diverse exchanges between any two Miami residents. In the context of breast cancer, its initiative gives people a creative way to bond over an experience that is usually extremely personal.

“I think [Sketchy Pink] is really great. It’s always good to have a creative outlet and bring attention to breast cancer,” senior Kelsey Butler said. “The project gives a healthy way for people affected by it to release any feelings of negativity, stress or anxiety.”

For more information on Sketchy Miami, Sketchy Pink or the Sketchy Pink Party, visit SketchyMiami.com or send an email to sketchy@sketchymiami.com.
All proceeds from the Sketchy Pink Party will go to the institute.  The party will include food, drinks and live music.

Kristen Soller

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...