Former students honored for work on TV series

Two University of Miami alumni were involved in the making of an episode of the television series “Changing Seas,” which recently won the 2011 Communications Award in the film/radio/TV category.
The award was presented by the National Academy of Sciences, and the National Academy of Engineering and Institute of Medicine. It is funded by the W.M. Keck Foundation, which recognizes excellence in reporting and communication science, among other categories.
Veronique Koch, an alumna of UM’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS), was the episode’s associate producer.
“We beat out a lot of shows with much bigger budgets like [PBS’s] ‘NOVA,’” Koch said. “It was a big honor to win.”
Jenny Litz, another RSMAS alumna and a research fishery biologist for NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service, is interviewed in the episode.
“Changing Seas” is an ongoing program on local public television channel WPBT2 that focuses on discovering the oceans and their marine life. The episode that was recognized, “Sentinels of the Seas,” explores the health of bottlenose dolphins and how it correlates with environmental hazards that could harm humans.
“I think very few people know that a lot of dolphins and other marine animals have high body burdens of contaminants,” said Alexa Elliot, who produced the series. “There is no way for them to get rid of these contaminants. The only way is if it is a female and she gives birth.”
The dolphins’ deteriorating health as a result of contaminants in the food web is an indicator that this may be a problem facing humans as well.
“They are the canaries in the coal mind because they are showing the signs we could show if we eat the same contaminants,” Koch said.
To view this episode and learn more about the issue, visit changingseas.tv.

Jackie Salo

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...