The flawed shuttle system

Where are the shuttles? Why is it so crowded in the shuttle? When will the next shuttle come? These questions and many more cross my mind everyday as I wait for the next shuttle to come. I live in an apartment on Bird Road, so it usually takes me 10 minutes to get to campus. However, since I was out of the country during the summer, I got stuck with parking in the Ponce de Leon Garage.

Even though it only takes me 10 minutes to get to school, it takes me 30 to 45 minutes to get from Ponce Garage to the Ungar Building. It might sound ridiculous, but it’s become part of my everyday routine. I have to wake up almost two hours before class starts just to make it on time.

I am not the only one having trouble with our shuttle system. Every day I see people left behind because there is not enough space or people waiting for more than 20 minutes to get on a shuttle. It has become a game, so as soon as you see the shuttle coming, you make your way to the entrance because you might not even get inside and you do not know when the next bus will come.

There are many people in our student body, so there is no reason we should pack in the shuttle like sardines and fight our way in so we can make it to class. Something must be done to improve our shuttle system. After all, we all need our sleep; we should be accommodated, so we are able to make it to class on time and in one piece.

Rosa Orihuela is a junior majoring in journalism and computer science.

Rosa Orihuela

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...