Disaster relief should not be bargained

In the aftermath of Hurricane Irene, which devastated several areas on the East Coast last month, many Republicans, led by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, wanted to offset disaster relief to victims of the hurricane with cuts elsewhere in the government’s budget.
Sure, they want to be fiscally responsible, but what about morally responsible? Whatever happened to that compassionate conservatism that Republicans have long preached? I highly doubt that Jesus Christ would hold a ransom like this.
Disaster relief should never be a bargaining chip in some political game. Some Democrats in the past have held similar positions, and they, too, deserve criticism.
I sat around for weeks without writing about the issue and thought that it would blow over. However, the House Tea Party nutcracks are at their antics again, believing that their victory in the last election cycle is an absolute mandate to tear down all forms of government spending and restructure the United States to make it more like that of the 1920s.
Of all things, don’t play cheap games like you’ve been playing. Make the right decision, and we can go back to matters that are more appropriate to debate.

Gaurav Dhiman is a senior majoring in biology and political science.

Gaurav Dhiman

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...