Disaster relief should not be bargained

In the aftermath of Hurricane Irene, which devastated several areas on the East Coast last month, many Republicans, led by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, wanted to offset disaster relief to victims of the hurricane with cuts elsewhere in the government’s budget.
Sure, they want to be fiscally responsible, but what about morally responsible? Whatever happened to that compassionate conservatism that Republicans have long preached? I highly doubt that Jesus Christ would hold a ransom like this.
Disaster relief should never be a bargaining chip in some political game. Some Democrats in the past have held similar positions, and they, too, deserve criticism.
I sat around for weeks without writing about the issue and thought that it would blow over. However, the House Tea Party nutcracks are at their antics again, believing that their victory in the last election cycle is an absolute mandate to tear down all forms of government spending and restructure the United States to make it more like that of the 1920s.
Of all things, don’t play cheap games like you’ve been playing. Make the right decision, and we can go back to matters that are more appropriate to debate.

Gaurav Dhiman is a senior majoring in biology and political science.

Gaurav Dhiman

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...