Category 5 plans ‘Miami Madness’ event

File photo

Category 5, the Student Government spirit programming board, is looking to reach out and include more Miami sports, and has a new and exciting event in store for Canes basketball fans.

Spurred by its never-ending quest for higher attendance at UM athletic events and its desire to foster a stronger fan culture, the student-run organization plans to shift a lot of its focus toward programs that have been overlooked in the past. This year volleyball, soccer and the Olympic sports, like swimming, rowing and tennis, will be included and emphasized in the incentive-based Hurricane Force program.

“We’re offering points for literally every event you could possibly go to,” Category 5 chair Caitlin Giles said. These points can then be turned into prizes ranging from koozies or foam fingers in the lower levels, to customized Category 5 sunglasses, right up to signed memorabilia from every team for the person who accumulates the most points.
And the premise seems to be working.

“I know that before the Hurricane Force program launched the average attendance [for women’s basketball]was at 20 a game,” vice-chair Javier Hernandez said. “I checked the numbers for last year and they’re now at 110 a game.”But even with the progress they have already made, Category 5 keeps looking for new ways to get students involved and attract them to games. That’s where the idea for “Miami Madness” was born. “Miami Madness was actually brought to us by Coach Larranaga,” Hernandez said. “It’s something that he did back in George Mason and Bowling Green. It’s basically the way to connect students to our basketball team.”

The first-time event will take place on Oct. 20 at the BankUnited Center, and is set to open its gates at 7:30 p.m. It will feature a competition in which fans, players and coaches are split up into two teams contending for various prizes. One team will be led by Coach Larranaga and the other by Katie Meier, the head coach of the women’s team.
Students and players alike will then compete in on-court activities such as three-point shots, dribbling races and much more.

“The whole program is focused at the students and introducing the basketball team. So it’s interactive with the students,” Giles said.
Hopes and expectations are high, as Larranaga has had huge success with the event at his previous schools.
Hernandez, a Miami native who is all too familiar with the fact that his hometown is more of a football-centered culture than a basketball one, was quick to point out why students should attend Miami Madness.

“I expect it to be high-intensity, high-energy and it’s going to be led by the two most charismatic coaches in the nation.”

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...