A twist on being creative

I remember when my boyfriend sent me a picture of his doodles in the middle of his chemistry class. My first reaction was, “Why on earth are you doodling? You are in the middle of class. Go learn something!”

I thought that he was distracted because the lecture was boring, but then I realized I often find myself drawing those small hearts and cartoon flowers in the corner of my paper, too.

Doodling at glance seems like a waste of time, and paper. It is seen as unproductive and shows a lack of focus for this generation. I mean why would you draw ugly stick figures across your chemistry notes when the teacher is explaining a problem?

But maybe it’s not as bad as it seems. Doodling is art. It shares our imagination with the world and shows that humans are multidimensional creatures. It reveals that we are storytellers. Haven’t we all made cute little stories in our heads about a princess and prince that went along with our impromptu drawings? And doodling is not just for little kids. I don’t think it is something you can ever fully grow out of. Even our grandmas probably doodle when reminiscing about their childhood!

Doodling expresses creativity and it lets us know that we are more than the stigma of “You are a science nerd,” or “You’re an art geek.” It blends our creative side with our gift of learning and comprehending with a little relaxation thrown in. Without it we would not be human; we are given opposable thumbs for a reason. So draw something, take a mental break and be happy with your unique piece of art.

Krystel Edwards is a freshman majoring in creative writing.

Krystel Edwards

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya was selected with the 215th overall pick by the Detroit Lion ...