10-13: Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL
Add this to the list of preseason accolades for the women’s basketball team: Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have both been added to the Women’s Preseason Nominee list for the 2011 John R. Wooden Award. The Wooden award is considered by many to be the most prestigious individual honor in all of college basketball. The winner will be announced the weekend of April 9-11, 2012.

SOCCER
The Hurricanes soccer team will kick off at Cobb Field for the final time during the regular season this weekend. On Thursday, Miami will welcome the Boston College Eagles. The matchup will take place starting at 7 p.m. On Sunday, Miami will close out the home portion of their schedule on Sunday when they face off against the Maryland Terrapins. That game will kick off at 1 p.m. After this weekend, the Canes will be on the road to end the regular season.

VOLLEYBALL
After going 1-1 this past weekend in North Carolina, the Canes volleyball team will return to the Knight Sports Complex to play ACC rivals Clemson and Georgia Tech. The game against the Tigers will be on Friday at 7 p.m., while the Yellow Jackets will face off against Miami on Sunday at 1 p.m. Both games can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

MLB
At least one former Hurricane will be making a World Series appearance this year. Jon Jay of the St. Louis Cardinals and Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers are currently battling against one another in the NLCS to earn a World Series berth. The series is tied at 1-1 as of Tuesday night.
Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...