10-13: Sports Briefs

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL
Add this to the list of preseason accolades for the women’s basketball team: Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams have both been added to the Women’s Preseason Nominee list for the 2011 John R. Wooden Award. The Wooden award is considered by many to be the most prestigious individual honor in all of college basketball. The winner will be announced the weekend of April 9-11, 2012.

SOCCER
The Hurricanes soccer team will kick off at Cobb Field for the final time during the regular season this weekend. On Thursday, Miami will welcome the Boston College Eagles. The matchup will take place starting at 7 p.m. On Sunday, Miami will close out the home portion of their schedule on Sunday when they face off against the Maryland Terrapins. That game will kick off at 1 p.m. After this weekend, the Canes will be on the road to end the regular season.

VOLLEYBALL
After going 1-1 this past weekend in North Carolina, the Canes volleyball team will return to the Knight Sports Complex to play ACC rivals Clemson and Georgia Tech. The game against the Tigers will be on Friday at 7 p.m., while the Yellow Jackets will face off against Miami on Sunday at 1 p.m. Both games can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

MLB
At least one former Hurricane will be making a World Series appearance this year. Jon Jay of the St. Louis Cardinals and Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers are currently battling against one another in the NLCS to earn a World Series berth. The series is tied at 1-1 as of Tuesday night.
Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

About Author

Ernesto Suarez Sports Editor

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference and Brooklyn's Barclays Center teamed up for a historic first ear ...

The No. 45 Miami women's tennis team play will play a non-conference match against Florida Atla ...

University of Miami men's basketball signee Lonnie Walker IV showed off his athleticism at the ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...