Ludacris concert relocated to BUC

Graphic by Carlos Mella

The location for the 2011 Homecoming concert has been changed. Although it was originally scheduled to take place on the University Green, the concert will now be held in the BankUnited Center.

The decision was made to resolve issues that have affected past Homecoming concerts.
“The size of the crowd and the stature of the artist have grown over the years, and we realized there were challenges to having the concert outside, including weather and security,” said Joshua Brandfon, the advisor for Hurricane Productions, and the associate director of the Office of Student Activities and Student Organizations. “We wanted to make it an overall better experience.”

President Donna E. Shalala, Hurricane Productions, the Office of Student Activities and Student Organizations, the BankUnited Center and alumni made the decision to change the location collectively. Although the event is still free, tickets will be required for entry. There will be two seating sections to choose from: general admission floor (standing room only) and general admission (GA) seats. The GA floor section is only available to students. However, space is limited because 1,200 tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis.  Students may also choose to sit in the GA seats. “We wanted to give students priority when it came to seating,” Brandfon said. “We want them to enjoy [the concert].”

Some students, however, are skeptical about how effective the ticket requirement will be.
“I don’t think the tickets are going to keep anyone out really,” freshman Katie Black said. “I mean it is more orderly, but I don’t know if it will achieve its purpose.”
Upperclassmen who have attended homecoming concerts of years past, offer a different perspective.
“I think it’s a good thing,” junior Marcel Angles said. “Weather can ruin the concert. Now that it’s indoors, you avoid that problem.”

Students can pick up one ticket from the UC Ticketmaster window starting Oct. 20 with a valid Cane Card. If tickets remain, one additional ticket can be picked up beginning Oct. 31.
Tickets will also be available for alumni, faculty and staff on Oct. 26. The concert will begin at 10 p.m. on Nov. 4; doors will open at 9:30 p.m.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief