Sports Briefs 10/10

Soccer

The Hurricanes soccer team lost a heartbreaker to the Virginia Tech Hokies on Friday night by a final score of 2-1. After a scoreless first half, the Hokies struck first in the second with a goal by Jazmine Reeves, but the Canes came back a minute later with one of their own, courtesy of Shannon Casper.

As the game was seemingly headed into overtime in the final minute, VT’s Shannon Mayrose scored the game-winning goal.

Miami returns home for their final homestand of the season this week. On Thursday, they face off against Boston College starting at 7 p.m. They will end their homestand on Sunday against Maryland at 1 p.m.

NFL

With former tight end Greg Olsen’s touchdown against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday afternoon, the streak during which a former Hurricane has scored a touchdown in the NFL has now reached 144 consecutive weeks. The streak began during week 15 of the 2002 NFL season.

Volleyball

After rallying from a 2-1 deficit on Friday night against N.C. State, the Hurricanes volleyball team found themselves two sets down against the North Carolina Tar Heels on Sunday afternoon.

Though they did manage to force a 2-2 tie heading into the fifth set, the Canes were unable to complete the comeback, as the Tar Heels came away with a 15-11 win in the decisive fifth set.

Swimming and Diving

After day two of the All Florida Invite, the Hurricanes are in fourth place in the competition, which is hosted by the University of Florida. Sophomore diver Sam Dorman came away with the victory in the 1m springboard, his second win of the tournament after taking the 3m gold on Friday night.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

About Author

Ernesto Suarez Sports Editor

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...