Sports Briefs 10/10

Soccer

The Hurricanes soccer team lost a heartbreaker to the Virginia Tech Hokies on Friday night by a final score of 2-1. After a scoreless first half, the Hokies struck first in the second with a goal by Jazmine Reeves, but the Canes came back a minute later with one of their own, courtesy of Shannon Casper.

As the game was seemingly headed into overtime in the final minute, VT’s Shannon Mayrose scored the game-winning goal.

Miami returns home for their final homestand of the season this week. On Thursday, they face off against Boston College starting at 7 p.m. They will end their homestand on Sunday against Maryland at 1 p.m.

NFL

With former tight end Greg Olsen’s touchdown against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday afternoon, the streak during which a former Hurricane has scored a touchdown in the NFL has now reached 144 consecutive weeks. The streak began during week 15 of the 2002 NFL season.

Volleyball

After rallying from a 2-1 deficit on Friday night against N.C. State, the Hurricanes volleyball team found themselves two sets down against the North Carolina Tar Heels on Sunday afternoon.

Though they did manage to force a 2-2 tie heading into the fifth set, the Canes were unable to complete the comeback, as the Tar Heels came away with a 15-11 win in the decisive fifth set.

Swimming and Diving

After day two of the All Florida Invite, the Hurricanes are in fourth place in the competition, which is hosted by the University of Florida. Sophomore diver Sam Dorman came away with the victory in the 1m springboard, his second win of the tournament after taking the 3m gold on Friday night.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team was unable to crack the top eight in th ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...