Shark lover aims for change

Sophi Bromenshenkel kisses a dolphin during a family trip to Atlantis in the Bahamas in 2010. Bromenshenkel was honored for her fundraising efforts that she donated to a shark conservation program. Courtesy R.J. Dunlap Marine Conservation.)

Making bracelets, selling hot chocolate and setting up lemonade stands are the usual ways an 8-year-old can make a few dollars. But unlike most 8-year-olds, Sophi Bromenshenkel has been using her money to help shark-conservation efforts for the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS).

“My favorite thing about the ocean is sharks,” wrote Sophi in her first entry of her online blog, Saving Sharks with Sophi. “I love them!  I like to read about them, watch shows about them, collect facts about them and draw them.  My favorite shark is the hammerhead.”

Sophi recently won the Oceana’s 2011 Junior Ocean Hero Award and was on the cover of the latest issue of the Oceana Magazine, a publication of Oceana, an organization solely responsible for protecting the world’s oceans.

She was honored for raising $3,500 to purchase satellite tags. These tags will be used to track shark populations being studied by the University of Miami’s R.J. Dunlap Marine Conservation Program (RJD).

According to the Star Tribune, Bromenshenkel’s fascination with sharks began at the age of four when she took a trip to Florida along with her family – her uncle, a boat captain, introduced her to the ocean and to sharks.

After discovering a pregnant bull shark that washed up on shore by her uncle’s home, Sophi was motivated to help sharks.

She worked to educate community groups in her hometown of Richfield, Minn., about the threats that sharks face and how they can contribute to shark conservation. She also convinced her local church to host “Shark Month,” which helped raise funds for her cause.

“I talked to a kindergarten class about sharks,” Sophi wrote on her blog. “I talked about all of the ways that I am helping sharks and the ocean. Ms. Bell helped me explain some of the harder words for them, like research and satellite tags. The kids didn’t know that much about sharks, so I taught them a lot.”

For every $2,000 raised, one shark will be tagged and named after a person. Sophi already has one shark named after her.

“Sophi is a great example of how one small person can make a huge difference,” said Neil Hammerschlag, an associate research professor at RSMAS, in a press release.

Sophi will be in Miami on Thursday for the South Florida premiere of the movie, “This is Your Ocean: Sharks.”

If you go

What: “This is Your Ocean: Sharks”

When: Thursday at 5:30 p.m.

Where: Cosford Cinema

Cost: $10 for students and $20 for general admission

A $2,000 donation can be made to purchase a shark satellite tag and attend a VIP dinner following the screening. Reservations are encouraged due to the limited seating. RSVP to Carla Lovinsky at 305-421-4061 or clovinsky@rsmas.miami.edu.

Ariele Gallardo

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...