Saturday nights in Miami

UM alumnus Konstantin Moeller and grad student Cynthia Fleischmann (right) look at the Works on Paper exhibition at UM’s Project Space in the heart of the Wynwood Art Walk. Devin Cordero//The Miami Hurricane

From the Wynwood Art Walk, held at the heart of the Design District, to the Coconut Grove Drum Circle, Miami’s Saturday nights traditionally offer an assortment of activities.

Wynwood Art Walk, which is held on the second Saturday of every month, features art from local artists. Galleries in Wynwood open their doors to wandering art aficionados, who generally come to the district to admire the art on display. While Saturday night’s stormy weather may have steered away regulars, the event still had a decent turnout.

“I try and go every month. I like going because it shows so much talent of the young art here and it’s a fun atmosphere,” said Cynthia Fleischmann, a UM grad student working on her master’s degree in fine arts. “A lot of students go and you can talk about the art with your mutual colleagues, and see what’s new and fresh in the neighborhood.”

The Coconut Grove Drum Circle, led by Karen Deilke and professional drummer Mark Richards, was held on Saturday night at the Mayfair Atrium at the Grove.

Both UM students and local residents attended the circle. Members were encouraged to bring their own seating and drums.

The group usually meets the first Saturday of each month.

To get involved, “like” the groups “Coconut Grove Drum Circle” or “Drum-Circle Miami” on Facebook, or contact Deilke at karen.deilke@gmail.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Saturday nights in Miami”

1. For other drum circles in the Miami area, see the calendar on http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MiamiDrum/

2. The Coconut Grove Drum Circle is held in the Mayfair Atrium on the first Saturday of each month, from 8-11PM.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...