Parking system continues to disappoint

If you hate the new parking permit system, you are not alone. The new UM parking program is basically engineered to ensure only a limited number of good spots. The six types of permits are separated by color: purple, red, yellow, green, gray and blue. You’d assume that there would be enough spots by your classes to allow you to park at a reasonable distance, but that’s not the case.

It seems like the new system was meant to eradicate the issue of empty spots and uneven distribution of parking. Although it accomplishes that goal on some level, students have to stay in the same spot all day to avoid walking across campus later on. Otherwise, you could park by Mahoney-Pearson in the morning, then leave and be forced to park by the BankUnited Center in the afternoon.

There is a clear difference in zones, though.

The purple and red zones sold out first, and it is generally agreed that they’re the best. The yellow zone is just a disappointment most of the time.

The system seems unfair for multiple reasons. To begin with, students with earlier classes are basically secured better spots. Trying to get a good spot for a 9:30 a.m. class is impossible if you have a yellow permit. Most of the time the Pavia Garage will already be filled.

It’s annoying to not find good spots in your parking zone and then spy a great spot in another color zone. If you park there, you’ll wind up with a ticket or, after a few offenses, a towed car.

The new system needs a lot of work. I understand that it would cost the university a lot of money if another garage were constructed, but it’s frustrating to pay for a permit and not find a convenient spot.

Natasha Tomchin is a sophomore majoring in history and public relations.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...