Parking system continues to disappoint

If you hate the new parking permit system, you are not alone. The new UM parking program is basically engineered to ensure only a limited number of good spots. The six types of permits are separated by color: purple, red, yellow, green, gray and blue. You’d assume that there would be enough spots by your classes to allow you to park at a reasonable distance, but that’s not the case.

It seems like the new system was meant to eradicate the issue of empty spots and uneven distribution of parking. Although it accomplishes that goal on some level, students have to stay in the same spot all day to avoid walking across campus later on. Otherwise, you could park by Mahoney-Pearson in the morning, then leave and be forced to park by the BankUnited Center in the afternoon.

There is a clear difference in zones, though.

The purple and red zones sold out first, and it is generally agreed that they’re the best. The yellow zone is just a disappointment most of the time.

The system seems unfair for multiple reasons. To begin with, students with earlier classes are basically secured better spots. Trying to get a good spot for a 9:30 a.m. class is impossible if you have a yellow permit. Most of the time the Pavia Garage will already be filled.

It’s annoying to not find good spots in your parking zone and then spy a great spot in another color zone. If you park there, you’ll wind up with a ticket or, after a few offenses, a towed car.

The new system needs a lot of work. I understand that it would cost the university a lot of money if another garage were constructed, but it’s frustrating to pay for a permit and not find a convenient spot.

Natasha Tomchin is a sophomore majoring in history and public relations.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Parking system continues to disappoint”

1. Nate S. says:

Can this student body be any more spoiled? At most schools, you have to park in the middle of nowhere and then take a shuttle for 10-15 minutes, just to reach campus. Most of our parking spots are within easy walking distance from major academic buildings. Of course the parking system was designed to maximize all available parking spots, that’s common sense. For years, the University sat by and watched as students drove in circles, trying to get a parking spot in selected lots, while good spots, spots that were created due to student demand, went unused.

I never bothered to bring my car down from Texas, and I’ve managed to survive just fine. I live within walking distance of campus, and I manage to get to my job, and to class with little to no problem. The consistent whining about not having enough nearby parking is just that, whining. No new parking structures should be built, and most likely won’t, due to the fact that we would have to go through the City of Coral Gables, which is a nightmare.

The whole point of a parking permit is to guarantee that you have a spot somewhere on or near campus, not to guarantee that you will never have to walk anywhere. God forbid people in their late teens/early 20s have to walk to class.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...