Parking system continues to disappoint

If you hate the new parking permit system, you are not alone. The new UM parking program is basically engineered to ensure only a limited number of good spots. The six types of permits are separated by color: purple, red, yellow, green, gray and blue. You’d assume that there would be enough spots by your classes to allow you to park at a reasonable distance, but that’s not the case.

It seems like the new system was meant to eradicate the issue of empty spots and uneven distribution of parking. Although it accomplishes that goal on some level, students have to stay in the same spot all day to avoid walking across campus later on. Otherwise, you could park by Mahoney-Pearson in the morning, then leave and be forced to park by the BankUnited Center in the afternoon.

There is a clear difference in zones, though.

The purple and red zones sold out first, and it is generally agreed that they’re the best. The yellow zone is just a disappointment most of the time.

The system seems unfair for multiple reasons. To begin with, students with earlier classes are basically secured better spots. Trying to get a good spot for a 9:30 a.m. class is impossible if you have a yellow permit. Most of the time the Pavia Garage will already be filled.

It’s annoying to not find good spots in your parking zone and then spy a great spot in another color zone. If you park there, you’ll wind up with a ticket or, after a few offenses, a towed car.

The new system needs a lot of work. I understand that it would cost the university a lot of money if another garage were constructed, but it’s frustrating to pay for a permit and not find a convenient spot.

Natasha Tomchin is a sophomore majoring in history and public relations.

Natasha Tomchin

Staff EDGE Writer

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...