Student on house arrest after car crash

University of Miami student Ivanna Villanueva, 19, was involved in a fatal car crash early Sunday morning at the intersection of LeJeune Road and Majorca Avenue.

At around 4:30 a.m., Villanueva was driving south on LeJeune Road between 80 and 85 mph when she slammed into 68-year-old Eyder Ayala’s vehicle, according to police reports.

Ayala’s trunk was pushed toward the car’s front seats. She sustained fatal injuries, including extensive trauma to her forehead, and was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. Villanueva was not injured.

Villanueva went before a judge on Monday morning, and was charged with vehicular homicide and driving in a reckless manner.

However, she could face additional charges because, according to police reports, she said she consumed alcohol while at a club earlier that night. Her blood alcohol level was tested at the scene of the accident and the results are pending.

She was released from jail on  $50,000 bond and is now on house arrest. However, Villanueva is allowed to attend classes.

Dean of Students Ricardo Hall would not comment on Villanueva’s case.

Her family released the following statement to the media: “The Villanueva family is exceedingly saddened by the events of this past Sunday and Ivanna Villanueva is grief stricken over the tragic accident. Everyone in the family wishes to convey their deepest sympathies to the Ayala family at this very, very sad time.”

About Author

Nicky Diaz Copy Chief

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Student on house arrest after car crash”

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...