Stop procrastinating, start working

Everyone does it constantly. As much as we enjoy it, we tend to feel pretty bad about ourselves after the fact.

Yes, I’m talking about Facebook and Sporcle and StumbleUpon and eating and tweeting and anything else that ultimately boils down to procrastination. We do anything and everything except what we’re supposed to be doing.

Ninety-five percent of people are prone to procrastination, 20 percent of which are chronic procrastinators, according to Psychology Today.

The etymology of “procrastination” directly translates to “belonging to tomorrow,” so your essay can totally wait until later, right? Nope!

There’s no way to cure procrastination — it’s a decision that you yourself have to make and stick with.

Creating a to-do list and tackling the hardest task first will allow you to prioritize and stick to one assignment at a time.

Taking mini-breaks (but only mini!) between each task will provide incentive to complete your tasks.

Finally, don’t overthink assignments. If you have reasons A, B and C for why you absolutely cannot get your essay done, you’re not going to get anywhere. Just do it.

We were all accepted to the University of Miami for a reason and finishing that seemingly endless essay during junior year probably helped us in some way.

I know your Marine Science 101 essay may seem like it will never get you a job as a reporter for ESPN, but somehow, it will.

So get it done, do it well and you’ll go far.

Alexa Pappas is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism and sport administration.

Alexa Pappas

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...